Why become a member? ×

Thin neck question

agroupuk

Well, its only just into 2009 and already I have gas. Non specific gas - but gas none the less.

Hopefully one or two of you fine fellows can help me.
Now that I am increasing in skill with the bass I thought I would treat myself to a new one at some point.
I fancy a something less common than a Jazz bass (sorry Jazz lovers - I may still get one but not right now)
Anyway - the reason I mention the Jazz is because I have several lower end bass's already and out of all of them I get on most with my Ibanez BTB due to the nice slim neck and decent spacing at the pups. (like a Jazz funnily enough!)

I was wondering what other Ibanez (or other make) bass's have good string spacing at the pup for my fat fingers yet a nice slim neck?

Primarily I like the look of the Ibanez ATK's or the Warwick Rockbass Corvettes. Both are a little less 'metal' looking (otherwise I would just get a better spec BTB) Unfortunately I have no shops close enough, that stock these, for me to just go for a quick look.

Any help on my choice of bass would be appreciated. Only 4 stringers btw.

The budget is between £350+£700 but don't tell the wife! (the lower the better but something better than my entry level BTB would be excellent)

Thanks all!

Edd

The Ibanez ATK is great, but has a relatively wide nut width compared to a Jazz - more Precision width. I've never played a Rockbass Corvette, but if the neck is like the Warwick Corvette necks, you really do need to try before you buy. I love mine, but they have a deep profile which some people don't get on with at all. Incidentally, given your budget, I wouldn't buy a Rockbass - you could easily pick up a very nice used German Warwick within that budget.

Hiya Edd how are you?

I have a superb bass that has J style pickups but a very svelte body shape and a neck slightly thinner than a Jazz. It was made as a custom bass by a luthier in Liverpool. It even has an adjustable bridge.

It's fitted with a John East U-Retro with active/passive balance, bright switch and sweepable mids.

If you are interested pm me. I can get some photos done. You'd be welcome to pop over/meet up to try it out. It's in great nick too.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='Delberthot' post='380202' date='Jan 14 2009, 12:52 PM']One of my favourite basses was an Epiphone Thunderbird. If you can live with the neck dive it has a fantastic slim neck[/quote]

I presently have one. Its still larger/chunkier than my Ibanez though.....

[quote name='rjb' post='380233' date='Jan 14 2009, 01:27 PM']Ibanez SR500? Slim neck, nice woods, bart pickups, very decent price.....

[url="http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/bass/1449-ibanez_sr500_bass_guitar"]http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/bass/1449-...500_bass_guitar[/url][/quote]

I was going to suggest the SR500 - fantastic basses and great value. But I think the OP was after a reasonably wide string spacing at the bridge, and I think the SR500 is very narrow for a 4 string. But if you like the string spacing, these are just about the best spec'd bass under £500 IMO

[quote name='simon1964' post='380306' date='Jan 14 2009, 03:03 PM']I was going to suggest the SR500 - fantastic basses and great value. But I think the OP was after a reasonably wide string spacing at the bridge, and I think the SR500 is very narrow for a 4 string. But if you like the string spacing, these are just about the best spec'd bass under £500 IMO[/quote]

I THINK its the same as the BTB. not 100% sure though. im pretty sure the EDB and SR series have the same string spacing, and i think the BTB has too. you might want to double check first.

anyway, the SR500 is an absolutely brilliant bass!

although, if you want a thin neck... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=36590"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=36590[/url] ;)

My second bass was a cheap Ibanez SR but i haven't had a bass which has a more comfortable neck. Also I really like Warwick $$'s, they have thick neck but if you get used to it they are comfortable and fast (especially ovangkol necks). so you can go for Soundgear (i prefer old japanese models) or Warwick. Also you can think about my Fernandes APB, she has a nice and fast neck too but not thin as much as Ibanez's.

[quote name='guven_caglar' post='380929' date='Jan 15 2009, 02:46 AM']Also you can think about my Fernandes APB, she has a nice and fast neck too but not thin as much as Ibanez's.[/quote]

Out of all the basses that have been for sale on here lately that APB has been the one i've wanted the most.Looks reet bonnie it does.
BTW Guven,the link to the APB in your current for sale thread is broken,well it is at my end at least. ;)

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='381038' date='Jan 15 2009, 09:57 AM']Out of all the basses that have been for sale on here lately that APB has been the one i've wanted the most.Looks reet bonnie it does.
BTW Guven,the link to the APB in your current for sale thread is broken,well it is at my end at least. ;)[/quote]

Thanks for your good comments Pete. I am still loking for a good home for her as I don't use it and she doesn't deserve it. I know you are far to come and try it but you are more than welcome if you will be able to do it. I fixed the link, thanks. i can wait more for bump for you, i am not in hurry :P

I know you were planning on edging away from a Jazz, but the Geddy Lee offically has the thinnest neck depthwise of all the Fenders and a normal width size as per a normal Jazz.

For clarification, when you say thinnist, do you mean width (ala, nut width) or depth of the neck?