Why become a member? ×

Your opinions on what this bass is...

Silky999

I’ve never changed a bridge or tuners before. A simple task? Would changing these affect the tone and playability? Anything to beware about when removing the neck? Excuse my ignorance but I’ve only done strings before and don’t want to f@@k it up. I’m assuming it’s the 4 screws on the plate at the heel of the neck?
I’m also torn about putting the bridge cover and PU cover back. I don’t want to try and make it something it isn’t. I would like to get the holes on the body sorted if possible. Is that an expensive job as I don’t want to go nuts on the body on something that is what it is?

I really appreciate everyone’s comments and I will post back when I get the bass in a few days and dissect it. 

6 hours ago, Silky999 said:

I’ve never changed a bridge or tuners before. A simple task? Would changing these affect the tone and playability? Anything to beware about when removing the neck? Excuse my ignorance but I’ve only done strings before and don’t want to f@@k it up. I’m assuming it’s the 4 screws on the plate at the heel of the neck?
I’m also torn about putting the bridge cover and PU cover back. I don’t want to try and make it something it isn’t. I would like to get the holes on the body sorted if possible. Is that an expensive job as I don’t want to go nuts on the body on something that is what it is?

I really appreciate everyone’s comments and I will post back when I get the bass in a few days and dissect it. 

First rule (which I never follow!) is: use the right sized screwdriver & spanner for the job!

It is really difficult to mess up a bolt-on neck, TBH.

There are also the general rules of how to do a setup (truss rod, neck angle, string height, intonation) - there are videos on youtube.

16 hours ago, Silky999 said:

Setup I can do and a new set of strings. As I said, I will post back on here when I get it next week with what I find when I take it apart and clean it.

thanks again for you help and advice....

Good luck!  Hope all goes as hoped for.

So after some extensive digging around through old Fender parts catalogues.....

The “58291xxx” in the neck pocket refers to a Fender MIM standard jazz bass body. The last 3 digits are the paint code. I think the WW is a QC initials. I took out the neck pup and there was a barcode with “MOxxxxxxx” This also matches with a MIM Fender.

Overall it’s an April 2010 MIM standard jazz bass body fitted with a maple Mighty Mite neck in June 2010. I don’t know what the pups are.

5 hours ago, Silky999 said:

So after some extensive digging around through old Fender parts catalogues.....

The “58291xxx” in the neck pocket refers to a Fender MIM standard jazz bass body. The last 3 digits are the paint code. I think the WW is a QC initials. I took out the neck pup and there was a barcode with “MOxxxxxxx” This also matches with a MIM Fender.

Overall it’s an April 2010 MIM standard jazz bass body fitted with a maple Mighty Mite neck in June 2010. I don’t know what the pups are.

That's a score, then!