Why become a member? ×

Chorus: Boss or Digitech?

DanOwens

Hey guys.

Since I put the board together (yes you'll get pics when I'm happy with it) I seem to be taking this whole effects thing very seriously.

I've always added chorus to my synth patches to get that thickening and enriching of my sound. Likewise with the pod. Now I want a compact pedal to do the job. I was in PMT Salford (wherer ex-BCer Daryl helped me a lot, ta man!!!) and tried the Boss CEB-3. I was pleasantly surprised. I could get a number of quite different sounds that I liked a lot.

The thing is, I've been looking at the Digitech X-Series chorus and the variable-voicing seems interesting. I've not tried one, and I'm currently looking for somewhere in Manc that stocks one, but until then (and in the interests of getting my post count up so I can have a cool label-thing):

[b]What do you guys think of them both??[/b]

Ta,

Dan

Edited by TheBrokenDoor

I haven´t tried either but would like to point out that the DigiTech X-Series pedals are extremely power-hungry. They go through a 9V battery in three or four hours. You´ll need a 300mA power supply for these, whereas the Boss CEB-3 only draws 18mA. Just sayin´, might make your decision easier...

The best chorus ever, to my ears:

half rack unit mount (did I say it correctly? :) ), so it might be a nuisance. Also requires 500mA (strange, as it is analog).

But it is the BEST chorus I have ever heard. Wide, spacious, lush chorus. If you like fat choruses, then you won't like it, but if you want to add depth and shimmer to your sound, and you don't like strong choruses (just a light, subtle effect), then you'll love the Rockman.
Goes at about 100€ on the 2nd hand market, even less maybe. But it's worth every penny.

Otherwise, I'd suggest the Digitech, I remember trying it a few years ago, and it was quite nice, very versatile, I thought (it could go from subtle to TOO thick). I never liked the Boss chorus (at least the bass one), for some reason...

Thanks for your replies guys.

With power, I have about 2500ma spare, so that's not a problem. The Rockman looks nice, but part of my reasons for doing this is to de-rack.

Why the Small Clone? I would've thought the lack of control made it a weaker contender.

Thanks again!

Dan

I'd highly reccomend the danelectro cool cat (i've got the old 18v version, not sure how the new ones compare), doesnt have a lot of control though, only 2 knobs, but it can also be turned into a pitch vibrato by connecting a dummy cable to the stereo out. But of those choices i'd reccomend the boss definitley

I've got a CEB-3 here (that I'm not using, if you do decide you want one :)) and I think it sounds a bit cold and harsh. Yes it does thicken things up (I used to run it after a Blowtorch to get a sizzly '80s synth pad sound) but... I don't know. I'd be looking for something a bit more organicky-sounding if I were you.

Avoid the [i]Nano[/i] Small Clone by the way - it's bad. Maybe look at the Stereo Electric Mistress.

I demoed the Boss next to the EBS Unichorus and the EBS was much nicer to my ears. It has flanger, chorus or pitch modulation, plus there's a wet/dry trimpot on the inside for fine tuning your sound. There might be one for sale here on BC I think.

[quote name='Toasted' post='378816' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:46 AM']I'd really, really recommend the Analogman Mini Chorus. Hubba hubba.[/quote]

Indeed.

My faves are -

EBS UniChorus - most versatile and absolutely lovely in stereo (but who realistically uses stereo live?)

Analogman Chorus with Deep Mod.

Carl Martin Chorus

All top class chorus pedals which I would favour above the Boss or Digitech stuff. EBS would be top of my list - especially when paired with the reverb (although this is more for solo applications rather than bands!)

[quote name='TheBrokenDoor' post='376414' date='Jan 10 2009, 09:08 PM']Is that the CE-2 or CEB-2?

Thanks,

Dan[/quote]

[i][b]CE-2B[/b][/i]

Best bass chorus ever, IMHO. I hate Boss pedals, but I have to eat my words every time I hear that one.

Edited by Fraktal