Why become a member? ×

Is it just me or...............

Tinman

I could be wrong but is what's on the headstock correct for a genuine Fender?

Don't flame me if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Geddy-Lee-Jazz-Bass-With-Padded-Fender-Gig-Bag_W0QQitemZ300284795953QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item300284795953&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Geddy-Lee-Jaz...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

[quote name='Tinman' post='371586' date='Jan 6 2009, 05:54 AM']I could be wrong but is what's on the headstock correct for a genuine Fender?

Don't flame me if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Geddy-Lee-Jazz-Bass-With-Padded-Fender-Gig-Bag_W0QQitemZ300284795953QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item300284795953&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Geddy-Lee-Jaz...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url][/quote]
Nope. I believe the Fender logo should have no outline, just straight black & there should be the patent #'s under it. And I can't see the CIJ & serial # just above the neck pocket. GL's comes in those gig-bags though...

EDIT: And that neck doesn't look shiny enough either.

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='YouMa' post='371600' date='Jan 6 2009, 08:07 AM']Read further down its been very cleverly worded i think? "A Replica of the Fender Jazz Bass Geddy Used with Rush"[/quote]

I think that's a fair comment that wouldn't worry me too much, any such bass would /could use that disclaimer as it is a replica, I don't think he's trying to double bluff and call it a 'replica' of a replica. Then again I could be wrong. :)

I don't know the ins and outs of the Fender range, logos, stickers, serial numbers etc but Fender are their own worst enemy when it comes to fakes. The missing info on the headstock etc means I wouldn't know if this was an early example, re-issue, Taiwanese release or whatever. FWIW I didn't have any alarm bells ringing so I'm pleased I'm not looking for a Fender GL. :huh:

[quote name='johnnylager' post='371597' date='Jan 6 2009, 08:00 AM']Nope. I believe the Fender logo should have no outline, just straight black & there should be the patent #'s under it. And I can't see the CIJ & serial # just above the neck pocket. GL's comes in those gig-bags though...

EDIT: And that neck doesn't look shiny enough either.[/quote]
It could be one of the new necks though, which are satin, I believe. Fair point from Mr Hunt, too.

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='371613' date='Jan 6 2009, 08:23 AM']The missing info on the headstock etc means I wouldn't know if this was an early example, re-issue, Taiwanese release or whatever.[/quote]

The 'Made in Japan' stamp at the base of the neck would give you a fair idea... :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='371618' date='Jan 6 2009, 08:42 AM']The 'Made in Japan' stamp at the base of the neck would give you a fair idea... :)[/quote]

... and you'd trust something that you found on a sticker/transfer that you found on a bass! I know you and that's not what you'd believe. :huh:

In all fairness I just did a quick Google of images for a Fender Geddy Lee and I found images showing the headstock with at least 2 different transfers; what's the craic then, are they early/late models, re-releases, models from different countries?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='372190' date='Jan 6 2009, 05:04 PM']One had just Fender Jazz Bass the other had a serial number or patent number under the Fender (both obviously had maple neck, black block inlays).[/quote]
That's what made me query it in the first place.