Why become a member? ×

Choosing a bass cabinet (With a tight budget)

fekalizatorius

Hey, I finally saved up some bucks, that I want to invest in a bass head and cab, since I'm very unsatisfied with my noobish practice amp. My budget is between 450-560 Euros (Amp and cab together). My current choice is an Ashdown MAG 300 head (Most likely, this is the amp that I'm gonna settle on at the end), and a MAG 4x10" cab. When I went to the store to check it out, I noticed that the amp's impendance is 4 ohms, and the cab's - 8 ohms. After looking that up on my physics book, I realized, that I would need a 4 ohm cab or 2x 8 ohm cabs to get the 300w of power. Since going 2x10" and 1x15" is out of the question because of my budget, I wanted to ask you guys, what would be the best choice that could go with the MAG300 (4x10" cab or another amp within 200 and 300w output would be nice IMO, without concidering going for used, since I'm looking at the worst case scenario, that I can't find a good used one).
Thanx,
Fek.

Im sure there will be some experts with some figures along soon, but Im not convinced that you will hear a huge difference in volume between 200w into 8 ohms, or 300 into 4.

I think you will find more difference if you have 2 cabinets or more sensitive speakers.

[quote name='bumnote' post='371228' date='Jan 5 2009, 06:29 PM']Im sure there will be some experts with some figures along soon, but Im not convinced that you will hear a huge difference in volume between 200w into 8 ohms, or 300 into 4.

I think you will find more difference if you have 2 cabinets or more sensitive speakers.[/quote]

+1

Wattage is a pretty bad way of working out volume. The 200 or so watts the Ashdown will knock out at 8 ohms will scarcely be any louder than the 300w it will put out at 4 ohms. If you double the amount of drivers you'll get a 3dB increase in volume - the same as you'll get by doubling the the wattage. If you want more volume the cheapest option is probably to look for more efficient speakers or just get more speakers to push more air.

Thanks guys for the input :) I looked at the peavey - looks great, but sadly - I haven't seen a Peavey amp for sale within Lithuania (The only brands of amps I've seen are ashdown, hartke, eden, laney, yamaha, hiwatt and behringer. I think that's all. Sadly no GK or Aguilar for us). Also, if i find a reasonable product to buy, I would be willing to go to Poland or Germany to check it out (Any reason to travel is a good reason to travel) or order it off of thomann.de . Maybe I'll stick to just the 2x10" for a while, untill I can afford an ext. 1x15".
Cheers,
Fek.

[quote name='fekalizatorius' post='371349' date='Jan 5 2009, 08:28 PM']Thanks guys for the input :) I looked at the peavey - looks great, but sadly - I haven't seen a Peavey amp for sale within Lithuania (The only brands of amps I've seen are ashdown, hartke, eden, laney, yamaha, hiwatt and behringer. I think that's all. Sadly no GK or Aguilar for us). Also, if i find a reasonable product to buy, I would be willing to go to Poland or Germany to check it out (Any reason to travel is a good reason to travel) or order it off of thomann.de . Maybe I'll stick to just the 2x10" for a while, untill I can afford an ext. 1x15".
Cheers,
Fek.[/quote]

Why not go with your original choice of the mag 4x10 you will probably get more volume than from a 2x10 and you could add another cab later on?

[quote name='bumnote' post='371383' date='Jan 5 2009, 08:54 PM']Why not go with your original choice of the mag 4x10 you will probably get more volume than from a 2x10 and you could add another cab later on?[/quote]
+1 ;the 4x10 will be better on its own than the 2x10 to start with.you might not even have to add another cab to the 4x10.