Why become a member? ×

Phil Lynott RIP

barneyg42

Beyond the obivious hits...I always loved 'Bad Reputation' with the incredible drumming & 'Chinatown' and with 'Dancing In The Moonlight' you have one of the most famous bass intros ever.

When I was in Ireland recently, I walked passed Howth cemetary and had no idea he was buried there till after I'd come back......doh!

Edited by bass_in_ya_face

ohhh.....thin lizzzzy! I saw them in -77 I think it was Live and Dangerous Tour, not sure. In any case it completely blew me away and i bought all their records the week after. many years later i was in a covers band playing a lt of Irish venues in Europe and we used to do lot of Lizzy songs. I played guitar then and used to do Scott's parts. I love Live and Dangerous - I know it's not a proper live album but it really sounds great.....and the songs are among lizzys best (I think) as it never was the same without Robbie.....all the other guitarists where obviously great but something changed....

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='370716' date='Jan 5 2009, 10:52 AM']Let's not be too sentimental over the way of his demise though. We didn't 'lose' him. At a time when the world had started to realise full well the damage drugs can do to people , Phil chose to carry on destroying himself - with how much regard for people that surrounded and loved him I don't know.

If the difference between tragedy and the merely tragic is inevitability I don't regard his death as the former because he could have done something about it. He alone had control over what he allowed to become inevitable.

Sorry Phil - you were the stuff of legend and a musical hero of mine - but you went and f***ed your life up , nobody else.[/quote]

very well put indeed

It was seeing Thin Lizzy "Live and Dangerous" (Whistle Test special) that made me want to join a band. Phil was, along with Lemmy, my hero when I started. I only got to see him once and had drifted into a full-on metal phase by then. I wish I could go back. He was as true a rock star as you're ever likely to see, and a great, great talent. R.I.P. indeed. I miss him too.

I think 'Lizzy' captured the very essence of simple 'Rock'. Phil was an absolutely brilliant charismatic 'front man' who had enormous stage presence and it was all backed up by some serious talent and well crafted, very engaging songs.

When I saw them the 1st time, many years ago (over 30?) they were very late coming on stage and the punters had become bored by anticipation as roadies had been onto the darkened stage every 10 minutes or so raising expectations. Amidst a general 'pissed off' attitude the stage exploded into life with fireworks and immense riffage. The seats in Portsmouth Guildhall started vibrating alarmingly and this continued for the whole wonderful gig. I sometimes reflect on my high tone deafness but looking back on gigs like that it really was worth it.

Pedro