Why become a member? ×

Starting to build a PA for a Big Band

Robin UK

Hi, i hope this is a suitable question for this forum. I'm on the committee of my university jazz orchestra, and as the most technically minded of the bunch i am in charge of getting the band our first PA system. We don't have laods of cash, and can borrow gear of the uni events department for larger gigs, but we want something we can build on for smaller exetrnal gigs/ tours etc, to make su more flexible and independant.

The rig i'm look at is:
-Yamaha MG206C USB (was thinking about a peavey PV 20 USB, but preferred the compression to the onboard FX, and preferred the YAmaha setup)
-2*yamaha S115V PAssive Speakers
-Samson SX1200 Power Amplifier (I wanted a yamaha 3500, but soemthing needed to give)
-Alesis Nanoverb

-2*SM58
-4*SM57
-2* pair Samson c 02

I'm also getting a Yamaha MG102 for small band gigs and to use as a drums, bass and keys mixer to free up mic channels on the main mixer for recordings and larger gigs.

I have one monitor (for vocals) already, and we're going to have to make do with just another rhythm (mainly drums) monitor for the moment. The aim is to add enough 57's for close micing brass and using the condencers in pairs for the saxes and getting a set of drum mics.

What do you think? My budget is roughly £1300, and there is kit i can borrow for the moment.

Also, does anyone know a good site for buying seocnd hand PA gear?

Thanks

It all sounds reasonable-ish, but years of experience of big band and jazz gigs have led me to the conclusion that for these types of ensembles, simplest is usually best.

For big bands, unless you are in a (very) large hall or need to be extremely loud, I find that you only really need mics for the soloists and vocalists. The horn sections absolutely do not need sound reinforcement - a good horn section will blow off the doors at the back of the hall unamplified. For bass, I've done many big band gigs in decent sized venues, some with bass guitar, some double bass, with a 220W Eden 1x10 combo, and it usually is barely cranked at all. Keys & guitar players usually have similar sized amplification - as long as the rhythm section have enough juice to keep up with the drums, all is well. You shouldn't need to put the rhythm section through the PA at all, unless the hall is huge.

As for having a monitor for the drums... don't do it, it only encourages them. But in all seriousness, that shouldn't really be needed if you arrange the band well on stage so people can hear each other. Unless of course, the drummer is deaf, which may well be the case if they've been playing in big bands for a certain period of time.

I think the best approach to take is to get the band sounding as good as they can without PA assistance, then work out what needs addressed after you've taken this as far as you can. Remember that in the early era of the likes of Duke Ellington, they packed out large dance halls with minimal or non-existant PA, and no amplification for the double bass at all. Something to think about.

Jennifer

Hey, thanks for the info. In smaller gigs that we do i'll just be using the PA for keys, vocals and soloists, however i'm trying to make it so that we can record through the desk (for memorable cd's and for demo's for jazz festivals etc.), so in some situations i will be micing the whole band. also some of the venues we use need trumpet, & bari volume boosts and a bit of kick. I can't remember if i said, but i will be buying a smalller desk (yamaha MG 102) for smaller gigs and for small band stuff. We're also trying to make it so that band members can borrow the PA for their own jazz/funk or whatever gigs also.

Thanks again

Robin

[quote name='Robin UK' post='368291' date='Jan 2 2009, 10:50 AM']Thanks for the offer ahpook. I'm not too attached to teh samson, but i'm trying to leave behringer stuff alone for the moment (no offence).

Does anyone know an online used PA website?

Thanks

Robin[/quote]
Hi Robin, don't know about used but try Soundsavers.
They will provide good advice and they have a lot of ex-display and B Grade stuff.

[quote name='Robin UK' post='368291' date='Jan 2 2009, 10:50 AM']Thanks for the offer ahpook. I'm not too attached to teh samson, but i'm trying to leave behringer stuff alone for the moment (no offence).[/quote]

I gather from professional PA types that Samson is of comparable quality to Amstrad.

Tha Behringer power amps, on the other hand, enjoy a surprisingly good reputation in pro circles.

[quote name='stevie' post='368599' date='Jan 2 2009, 04:38 PM']I gather from professional PA types that Samson is of comparable quality to Amstrad.

Tha Behringer power amps, on the other hand, enjoy a surprisingly good reputation in pro circles.[/quote]

I think that would be incorrect..... I don't know of any reputable toursound companies that would send a rig out with Behringer amps......

Edited by crez5150

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Robin,

IMHO - I would suggest that for your purposes you try to get a bi-amped or tri-amped set-up regardless of how large or small the rig the difference in sound quality & separation is worth the extra £ & effort. of course you could just use the tops at smaller gigs as full-range

Have sent you a PM with list of gear I have in storage - just bear in mind that for the 3KW MaxSys rig I have you will need a large van (we carried the PA & 6 pce band including all gear & all members in a hightop leyland DAF).
If you don't have a van then I would look into PA hire with an engineer, then you have no up-keep costs, no depreciation & you don't have to set-up the rig! ;)

anyway hopefully there are some items on the list I sent that might help you build a PA - just drop me a PM.

cheers,

Juice