Why become a member? ×

Billy Sheehan

steve-soar

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGKpAqSVgI&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGKpAqSVgI&...feature=related[/url]
I have watched this a few times and I like his honesty, integrity, his playing and he is such a humble man.
I like his Niacin stuff but 9 Short Films, Compression and Cosmic Troubador show a dark a different side to his playing.

Edited by steve-soar

Hi ARGH I edited this post many times so as not to include his scientology beliefs but a lot of people believe in nothing much and don't hold life very dear.
I personally don't want to air an opinion on such matters and would rather this thread be about his playing and music.
PM me if you want.
Steve. :)

[quote name='ARGH' post='366761' date='Dec 31 2008, 12:20 AM']Sorry,you get the total package......Great player ,great f***ed up beliefs...Its like Lemmy,I dont want to be in a room with the guy.[/quote]Who would you like to be in a non threatening environment with? Would you just walk out when these people started to talk or would you try and connect with them in some kind of way?
We all wear badges of some discription to show others who we think we are but we should all be cool with each other, I'm suprised you wouldn't want to meet Lemmy, or are you scared that he is too rock for you? :) My ex met him in Buckley once and asked him for his "Wartagraph", he went for her and I pushed him away, we got kicked out...True.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='366772' date='Dec 31 2008, 12:31 AM']Who would you like to be in a non threatening environment with? Would you just walk out when these people started to talk or would you try and connect with them in some kind of way?
We all wear badges of some discription to show others who we think we are but we should all be cool with each other, I'm suprised you wouldn't want to meet Lemmy, or are you scared that he is too rock for you? :) My ex met him in Buckley once and asked him for his "Wartagraph", he went for her and I pushed him away, we got kicked out...True.[/quote]

No,I just dont want to meet a bitter old man that moans that younger bands make more money out of the music business than him,in half as short a period of time,when he could have easily done that himself...

Too rock...too metal..its image bullshit,I could drink myself dickless and braindead,speed myself into oblivion till kingdom come,dont make me any cooler...but I wouldnt bemoan about a career in which Ive had hit singles,mega lps,and toured the world,since the 60s. Yeah the guys a hellfire and brimstone of stories,but so's the bible,and Peter Ustinov was..as was Kenneth Williams...Stephen Fry still is.....point is,Im interested in what the latter people have to say from an educated stand point,not a from the edge of a whiskyglass and bitterness.

I wouldnt walk out???,I wouldnt even walk in to start with.....Ive taken what Ive wanted to take from these people as musicians,and Ive been dissapointed,even sickend as times gone on,no...neither have to be gods or leaders,nor did they ask to be. I find the ideology of what William Roland Sheehan belives..YES BELIEVES in utterly despicable.

Its the same with Heidegger,the guy had a brilliant mind,and ability,method of thought light years beyond most,but still would not condem his support,and continued post war support,for the ideology of Hitler and the rejection,even signing the public restriction (access to places of education,office of study,ownership of study materials) of Husserl,his former mentor,teacher and friend.

SO how did I get from Sheehan to Anti semitism of the Europe in the 30s/40s....

[quote name='ARGH' post='366779' date='Dec 31 2008, 12:50 AM']SO how did I get from Sheehan to Anti semitism of the Europe in the 30s/40s....[/quote]

Well, I've heard it's just a jump to the left, followed by a step to the right, and then with your hands on your hips, you bring your knees in tight...

[quote name='Buzz' post='366786' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:01 AM']Well, I've heard it's just a jump to the left, followed by a step to the right, and then with your hands on your hips, you bring your knees in tight...[/quote]You bastard, I've just woken the Missus up laughing, so you are on my list now. :)

He is a brilliant bassist & as far as bass playing goes is one of my idols. But that unfortunately is where it ends.

[quote]Really don't know much about his spirituality, at the worst it means he's a "christian".[/quote]

Sorry buddy, a Christian believes in God & Jesus etc, a scientologist believes in Zorg (or something like that), alien spirits & was made up by a science fiction author (L. Ron Hubbard).

[quote name='Buzz' post='366786' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:01 AM']Well, I've heard it's just a jump to the left, followed by a step to the right, and then with your hands on your hips, you bring your knees in tight...[/quote]
I thought it was the thrust into Poland,that drove us insane....?

[quote name='xgsjx' post='366829' date='Dec 31 2008, 07:39 AM']Sorry buddy, a Christian believes in God & Jesus etc, a scientologist believes in Zorg (or something like that), alien spirits & was made up by a science fiction author [b](L. Ron Hubbard).[/b][/quote]
Who by some bizarre and f***ed up bass-related coincidence, died in San Luis Obipso County on 24th January 1986. Any EBMM owners out there with a bass 'born' on this date are obviously under the influence of re-implanted thetans.

EDIT: I bet Brian Fox isn't a scientologist.

Edited by johnnylager

Haven't been able to watch the videos yet (I'm at work), but will check them out later.

I've been a big Sheehan fan for many years and only found out about his Scientology beliefs earlier this year. In a strange way, that makes me respect him even more; I've been a big fan for years and yet the Scientology thing was news to me. Maybe I'm naive, but he must keep his music and religion pretty separate for me to have not cottoned on to that - and I think that's admirable.

Edited by geilerbass

I could watch Sheehan over and over again... in fact I have; as he's been playing the same licks and tricks since I saw/heard him with Talas. :) That's not a criticism, he's bloody good at what he does and what he does he does well, including all the flash showboating stuff that looks fantastic but has little affect on what he plays. For instance he could do all of that stuff on the Hey Joe clip without any need for the gymnastics and flayling arms but it wouldn't look half as cool.

Don't give a t*ss for his beliefs the good thing is I've never known him use his celebrity to foist them onto anyone else. Not saying that he never has but I've not seen it reported.

At the end of the day the guy is in his mid/late 50's and he can still put on a show that would stop most bassists in their tracks (agreed there are loads of others who could do just as well, inc. Pino et al), fair does to him and long may he 'entertain'.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='366772' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:31 AM']Who would you like to be in a non threatening environment with? Would you just walk out when these people started to talk or would you try and connect with them in some kind of way?
We all wear badges of some discription to show others who we think we are but we should all be cool with each other, I'm suprised you wouldn't want to meet Lemmy, or are you scared that he is too rock for you? :) My ex met him in Buckley once and asked him for his "Wartagraph", he went for her and I pushed him away, we got kicked out...True.[/quote]

Not a big fan of Lemmy at all, but I did meet him about a year ago and had a good chat with him (although he was wasted-they were doing a lot of coke)

I didn't want to give up the opportunity of meeting a bass player that people hold in such high esteem, so just went and said hello in their dressing room at the Leas cliff hall. He (and they) were nice guys. Seemed quite down to earth, even though they were blazed.

He did seem agitated that no-one would bring him a lemon, though. I have no idea why.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='366993' date='Dec 31 2008, 12:27 PM']Don't give a t*ss for his beliefs the good thing is I've never known him use his celebrity to foist them onto anyone else. Not saying that he never has but I've not seen it reported.[/quote]

That's exactly what I was trying to say - but you articulated it much better than me! :)

i'm struggling to see peoples problem with billy sheehans beliefs, he has the right to believe what he wants to in the same way as all of you do. i definatly dont see how it has anything to do with his playing, and thats what we're here to talk about.

so back on topic - i've always though billy sheehan is one of the best bass players around, but in his own unique way. ive heard people say he's a guitarist but with four strings, but i just think that although he is very influenced by guitarists, he's not a guitarist playing bass, but just a creative bassist.

to be honest that video bored me and i didnt find it that useful, even though i did watch it all the way through. but im glad to see him saying that he does what he does by ear, because at least one of the four bass teachers ive had since i began playing has had me concentrating on theorey much more than actual playing. his homework was always to work out one scale or another, or to practice in some of the stupidest time signatures ive ever seen etc. and i couldnt imagine a lot of it being useful in my real playing.

to the other extent i had another bass teacher who believed that theorey was useless and limited our playing, and the best way to move forward was to play things that sounded wierd. he clearly thought it sounded good, i thought it sounded absolutely terrible. he was the only teacher ive had that it was my choice to get another teacher - all my other teachers ended up leaving and i had to get another one - because he was encouraging me to play, IMO, badly. if i played like he encouraged me to play, people would think i was just an awful bass player and kept hitting wrong notes, because he played out of key and tbh i think he probably wasnt listening to the music.

a balanced mix of both is good, if you ask me. too much use of theorey and youre playing becomes zombie like. using theorey as a basis but then playing by ear to what sounds right seems to be the best idea to me, it stops your music becoming stale and boring without it sounding "wrong". and yes, music can sound wrong, IMO. if you wouldnt want to listen to it, then its wrong. thats what musics about, being enjoyable to listen to.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='367045' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:21 PM']i'm struggling to see peoples problem with billy sheehans beliefs, he has the right to believe what he wants to in the same way as all of you do. i definatly dont see how it has anything to do with his playing, and thats what we're here to talk about.[/quote]

Having a belief is fair enough, but when its one as ridiculous as Scientology, it's just very hard to take someone as smart as he is, seriously. I find it hard to take anyone seriously if they swear by fairy tales.