Why become a member? ×

Best British Bassist

scarified

I think I might chip in on this one... Stuart Zender was always my favourite player and Paul Turner, the new guy with Jamiroquai has an amazing feel and groove. Other notables for me would be Randy Hope Taylor, Dave Holland, Andy Rourke, Colin Greenwood for his remarkable ability to keep it simple and moving, Yolanda Charles, and particularly (most importantly) Pino Palladino.

In regards to Dave Holland, he taught one of my lecturers upright for a while, who then went on to play with Mike Walker on a lot of gigs... Mike and Steve are both remarkable musicians, and have said they owe a lot to him.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='371551' date='Jan 6 2009, 12:37 AM']I think I might chip in on this one... Stuart Zender was always my favourite player and Paul Turner, the new guy with Jamiroquai has an amazing feel and groove. Other notables for me would be Randy Hope Taylor, Dave Holland, Andy Rourke, Colin Greenwood for his remarkable ability to keep it simple and moving, Yolanda Charles, and particularly (most importantly) Pino Palladino.

In regards to Dave Holland, he taught one of my lecturers upright for a while, who then went on to play with Mike Walker on a lot of gigs... Mike and Steve are both remarkable musicians, and have said they owe a lot to him.[/quote]

Would that be Steve Berry? Met him once - what a lovely guy and really supportive. I know he had lessons with Dave Holland.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='371625' date='Jan 6 2009, 09:03 AM']Would that be Steve Berry? Met him once - what a lovely guy and really supportive. I know he had lessons with Dave Holland.[/quote]

I used to borrow Steve (Berry's) flightcase so going to get it would usually involve lunch, Steve is a diamond, watch out for his kids now too they are forging ahead well in the music game....

[quote name='jakesbass' post='371665' date='Jan 6 2009, 09:50 AM']I used to borrow Steve (Berry's) flightcase so going to get it would usually involve lunch, Steve is a diamond, watch out for his kids now too they are forging ahead well in the music game....[/quote]

Apparently, he was playing Gil Evans arrangements to them whilst they were still in the womb! :)

I'm not joking!!

[quote name='jakesbass' post='371665' date='Jan 6 2009, 09:50 AM']I used to borrow Steve (Berry's) flightcase so going to get it would usually involve lunch, Steve is a diamond, watch out for his kids now too they are forging ahead well in the music game....[/quote]

Yeh, great musician, I love his lessons, he's got a great outlook on music

[quote name='Veils' post='366269' date='Dec 30 2008, 02:43 PM']For me, Alex James and James Leech are my biggest inspirations. I know they aren't technically astounding, but that doesn't matter.[/quote]

totally with you on alex james...he is, imho, an amazing bass player...very groovy - what he does against graham coxon's guitarisms are simply sublime.

can't right biographies for toffee, but a damn fine player

[quote name='steantval' post='366491' date='Dec 30 2008, 06:38 PM']Peter Hook a total dickhead, looks and plays bass like a total t*at.

Colin Hodgkinson has been setting high standards for many years, listen to some material from Back Door.

The guy out of the Blockheads......awesome.[/quote]
hooky is an awesome bass player, call him a dickhead, take a look in the mirror, everyone to there own but there is no need to be abusive

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='372605' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:32 PM']quote name='crez5150' date='Jan 6 2009, 07:23 PM' post='372332']
Dave Allen????

No this!

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PdEzY4keA2I"]Gang Of Four-Damaged Goods[/url][[/quote]
ive just remembered how much i loved this track, awesome! good call

I have to agree Ed Poole is amazingly talented and a lovely modest bloke to boot.He has probably got the best fretless Fender Jazz I have ever seen,heard or played, INCREDIBLE.
+1 for Simon Goulding,he is an incredible player, Laurence Cottle- fantastic!!

I'll throw in a few others in addition to the stellar players already mentioned,

Ewan Vernal ex Deacon Blue, Martin Mcaloon of Prefab Sprout,really creative catchy basslines,Rufus Philpot a superb player, British born but based in the States now. Alan Thompson who played fretless bass with John Martyn for a number of years,along with the great upright player Danny Thompson.

Just a few worthy of consideration IMHO.

Thanks,

Mark.