Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yamaha BB's

Jase

I've got a Yamaha BB404 - got it back in about 2003, which seemed to be just about the time that range kinda died out. Looks nothing at all like the classic or current BB basses - bit more of a modern look. Really really lovely bass. Great slim neck, growly jazz pickups.

Typically rank Yamaha stock shot with dodgy drop shadow:

And another bassist I knew, he had the slightly more posh active 5-string version of it with the maple top:

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Sean' post='894671' date='Jul 14 2010, 01:21 PM']My BB2025x (Vintage White) arrived yesterday. Pics to follow soon.

Fitted a Hipshot BT10 D-tuner to the BB2024x too - it's absolutely perfetto now![/quote]
Hi Sean , I have ordered a BB1024X from Thomann, they have told me they will be shipped from Japan end of Sept . Are you happy with the 2024 and do they justify the price tag for essentially a Japanese guitar?
Thanks for your time. Martin.

Had this little beauty shipped over from the US. Pure vintage BB tone and build quality. Designed to withstand earthquakes. And make them happen for that matter. Whatever acoustic resonance enhancement trickery they apply to the new 2024 I reckon this one's acquired naturally. Great depth of tone and very responsive to touch. Still interested in trying the 2024 for comparison though. If Yamaha say it's that good it probably is.

[attachment=55932:BB2000_1.jpg]

[quote name='martin8708' post='917215' date='Aug 6 2010, 05:44 PM']Hi Sean , I have ordered a BB1024X from Thomann, they have told me they will be shipped from Japan end of Sept . Are you happy with the 2024 and do they justify the price tag for essentially a Japanese guitar?
Thanks for your time. Martin.[/quote]

[quote name='martin8708' post='917215' date='Aug 6 2010, 05:44 PM']Hi Sean , I have ordered a BB1024X from Thomann, they have told me they will be shipped from Japan end of Sept . Are you happy with the 2024 and do they justify the price tag for essentially a Japanese guitar?
Thanks for your time. Martin.[/quote]

Martin, The 2024x is made in Yamaha's custom shop in Japan, there are six guys producing around 400 instruments a year which include acoustic guitars and the stupendous SG1820 electric guitars and some other stuff. The 2024x and the 2025x I have are fabulous and are typical of high quality hand crafted instruments made by good luthiers, they are essentially Yamaha's showcase instrument. The fact that these are made in Japan and not in Brooklyn or Manhattan is neither here nor there as far as build goes, the same attention to detail has gone into these as into any custom shop instrument. The 1024x is the factory version and has a different body shape (yes it does :rolleyes: ), it has nato stringers in place of mahogany and it hasn't had the ARE and IRA treatments that the 2024/5s have, helping to make them the most resonant basses I've played and the finish on them is as good as anything I've seen.

I would guess, from my experience with other Yamahas that the 1024/5 models are fantastic instruments and looking at the prices that Thomann are selling them at I am tempted to buy one as a back up for my 4-string. I have a BB415 and that's fantastic, especially with the Gotoh-alike replacement bridge and from what I can see the 1024/5 models are a significant leap forward. All BBs seem very comfortable on the strap too and aren't tiring to play for long sets (that Spector starts to hurt after an hour! :) ) Verdict without playing a BB1024 myself: you can't go wrong :lol:

What colour have you gone for? If you decide to sell it please give me first refusal.

Sean

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Machines' post='919500' date='Aug 9 2010, 12:31 PM']I am also confused as to the point regarding 'a Japanese guitar'. My Bacchus is MIJ and is flawless.[/quote]

Ditto Sadowsky Metro. Japan is not a country with low overheads where companies manufacture to cut cost - it is also a country with a fine guitar making heritage a lot of very good luthiers.

My cheapo BBG5 has become my main bass over the last year. Its hard to believe a bass that cheap can be made to such high standards. The flame maple top is superb IMO. Mine is the trans blue model, looking for a BBG4 in Amber but cant find one anywhere. I cant see any reason why the new BB range cant be even better. Pity about the new style though, just doesnt do it for me.Probably got something to do with the East sig.

I've played the BB1024 (an ex demo model) but not the BB2024 (yet). It's an OK bass, but I was expecting something special. I'd say the old BB2000 series or the current BB3000 basses are better instruments. (Note that recent BB3000 basses are build in the same Yamaha custom shop as the BB2024 series).

If you're into theh slapping/popping nonsense the standard (as opposed to reverse) neck pickup orientation on the BB1024 gives a rather nasal sound when popping on the D,G strings, whereas the BB2000 is more jazz like (due to similar pup spacings on the D,G strings).