Why become a member? ×

How good are you?

beerdragon

not good enough (for me) but more than adequate for our band. i have had compliments but take them with a pinch of salt as i am highly critical of myself, as theres always room for improvement, and thats the fun of it. finding you can now do something you couldn't before is ace.
my technical knowledge isnt great and i know very few scales, at least by their name and use but probably use quite a few of them in the songs we do just couldnt tell you what they are :)
but i do tend to end up telling the others how to do stuff, except the drummer cos i know nothing about them bangy things.
i'm fairly lucky that our guitarist and drummer are pretty good, just shame about the other 2.
the bands only as good as it worst part.

I'd say I'm about average really, good enough for what I'm doing but no fancy frills or anything.

I would say that I'm better now than when I first started with the blues band, have learnt so much about being in a band these last 2 or 3 years.

I do have the added disadvantage of having to work with a drummer who doesn't listen to the bass :) so have to fill in more on the rhythm side of things. At our last gig before Xmas the stage setup was slightly different, with the bass amp being further away from the drums. The singer/guitarist asked the drummer if he wanted the bass nearer to him to which the drummer replied, I don't listen to the bass I listen to the you singing or the keys. There have been arguments about this before at practices, and he's also been asked to do more in the way of just good solid drumming (not just pi55ing about on his cymbals all the time) but the end result will be a new drummer for 2009 hooray :huh: - moan over :huh:

I think I'm very average. But I can't judge how good I am in isolation - only when I'm playing with other people. And then I mostly can't hear myself. Impasse.

In any event, I didn't take up music (35 years ago) to get good at playing. I did it to have fun, show off and get laid.

2 out of 3 ain't bad.:)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='M4L666' post='365065' date='Dec 28 2008, 07:26 PM']You are good, you play how I want to, but I'm too slow. Do you use fingers or pick?[/quote]

I pick live. I really hate the fact that I have to pick, it's not the fact that I can't use my fingers [i]fast[/i] enough to play Veils tunes, it's the fact that I can't play [i]loud[/i] enough when competing with Chris's and Nick's guitars. Using the pick gives me that extra attack and clarity.

For my other band, it's fingers all the way because I am actually playing how I want to!

Pretty good. I get asked to accompany people at open mic nights, and a couple of them get the odd gig here and there and ask me to go and play with them there (so it's not just because I happen to be in the right place at the right time).

Would like to be doing some original work though.

I dont know whether its a case of being better than anyone else or what. It isnt a measurable thing. The way I look at it, its knowing and being able to play what is good for the song and putting on a good show that makes you a good bass player! If you're enjoying it the Audience probably are too! ... and if they're not then thats hard luck, at least you are! :)

Problem with this music m'larkey, is that it's all subjective.

Some people say Wooten is the greatest. Some say he's too flashy. Some say Jaco is the greatest, some say he's to anarchic. Some say that claypool is the best, but some say he isn't traditional enough, etc, etc, I could go on with many other examples....

Some say that consistent basic roots, and roots only are the only need for the bass, because that's it's role. Some say it does actual have a place in composition.

The best bass players are the most rounded ones. The ones that can offer a bit of everything, and that aren't stuck in a box of their own making. The best players listen and learn all types of music, to evolve themselves as players. It's a long journey, a lifelong journey.

But what i've noticed most (by studying the oldest and wisest players) is that the best players never, ever mention their talent...
:)

[quote name='Geek99' post='367043' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:21 PM']is it not also true that some players never learn another genre or evolve to any significant extent, yet are always tasteful and not overdone? Examples: James Jamerson, Duck Dunn.[/quote]

Yup, yup very true. I'm betting they are open minded people, though... :)

[quote name='Geek99' post='367043' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:21 PM']is it not also true that some players never learn another genre or evolve to any significant extent, yet are always tasteful and not overdone? Examples: James Jamerson, Duck Dunn.[/quote]

And you have to remember that Jamerson is said to have been an accomplished jazz player :)

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='364581' date='Dec 28 2008, 02:46 AM']I'm better than Adam Clayton.

...but I don't think Adam would be up for swapping the gigs he plays for the ones that I play.[/quote]

I bet your not better than Adam. You may be more imaginitive or creative but I bet your not as consistant or reliable. I've worked with some of U2's producers and they say that he is actually a very good bass player and is one of the tightest bass players around. He just happens to play what fits with U2. I doubt many can play in time and as tight as Adam.