Why become a member? ×

If you’re ordering from abroad, be careful using PayPal.

ambient

Watch out for the exchange rate, especially if you have the option of paying using PayPal.

The pound is pretty week at the moment, almost parity with the Euro. I ordered a new field recorder from Thomann on Sunday. It was B-stock, and quite a bargain, the advertised price was £70 less than the new price. I initially went to pay with PayPal, with their exchange rate though, it was over £20 more than the price on Thomann’s site, so I paid direct through Thomann and was charged the advertised price.

• Like 2

When buying from shops from abroad, try asking if they will use Transferwise.  They're an extremely reasonable exchange rate company, that charges way less.

EG.  I bought a £500+ Carvin amp from  Station Music in Germany and it cost me £2.50 instead of  roughly £30 from either my bank or Paypal. to exchange to Euros

Not everyone will use Transferwise,  maybe they think its a scam, but my deal went perfectly.

https://transferwise.com/

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, fleabag said:

When buying from shops from abroad, try asking if they will use Transferwise.  They're an extremely reasonable exchange rate company, that charges way less.

EG.  I bought a £500+ Carvin amp from  Station Music in Germany and it cost me £2.50 instead of  roughly £30 from either my bank or Paypal. to exchange to Euros

Not everyone will use Transferwise,  maybe they think its a scam, but my deal went perfectly.

for any high value purchase it's worth asking about a bank transfer and then using some sort of foreign exchange service. 

When I got my Warwick Custom shop Stage 1 I saved several hundred quid compared to my bank and PayPal just by getting a better exchange rate offered on line.  Mind you, it's worth doing as bit of due diligence to make sure that the one you use is genuine, as with any on line financial transaction

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fleabag said:

YES!!

I use TW too - I have a card with them now too and I recommend TW to anyone who is wanting to buy from me and lives abroad. My last bass went to Austria and using TW will have saved a huge amount in bank transfer charges.