Why become a member? ×

Unexpected references to your band?

Twigman

Not quite at that level...

But this poster I created for a gig I played in 1984 is now part of the Victoria & Albert Museum's permanent collection.

Also in Sound On Sound Magazine in the early 2000s there was an interview with Steve Levine in including photos of his home studio where the CD from the band I was in at the time was visible amongst a pile of stuff on his desk.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Twigman said:

Have you ever found an unexpected reference to your band?

In the movie '500 days of summer' there's this: - see record divider bottom left...

500dias.thumb.jpg.9e6f3ab7a08eec8371cb3594a28ee61e.jpg

OMG you're in 'Imports Misc O', that's so cool! 😎

Actually one of your CD's is in my car right now. I've just bought a Jaguar, I brought it home and needed to stock it with CD's, a neighbour saw the new car and said "it's proper old school gangster that is" (it really isn't) "You know, 'Get in the car you Slaaag' ". And that was one CD chosen for me. 

Never had any band reference crop up although the first time I heard us unexpectedly on the radio was cool. 

• Like 2

Guest oZZma
7 hours ago, Twigman said:

Have you ever found an unexpected reference to your band?

In the movie '500 days of summer' there's this: - see record divider bottom left...

500dias.thumb.jpg.9e6f3ab7a08eec8371cb3594a28ee61e.jpg

So I have a cassette of your band, copied from vinyl by a friend like 25 years ago! :D

19 hours ago, Twigman said:

That is just ultra cool. Love it.
( BTW, similarly, a band I was in has unexpected references everywhere one listens or reads. Just google "The Group" and be convinced. 😁 ) 

• Haha 1

Thanks for the comments about the poster. TBH it was just a question of being in the right place at the right time. It was part of an exhibition at the Greenwich Mural Workshop in the 80s, that must have taken the V&A's fancy. I had several other posters in the exhibition but none of them were taken.

And now something even weirder. One of the bands I play with wrote a song about the Trappist-1 system and made a video to go with it that got sent to various scientific bodies involved with the discovery. As a result our singer is currently in Liege presenting the video and talking about writing the song, and has just posted footage of the video playing to the other serious academics at the conference, including a couple of seconds of me throwing some serious bass poses...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1