Why become a member? ×

DarkStar or Wizards?

DanOwens

Hey guys,

I recently put together a fretless jazz from a Squier Classic Vibe body and a J&D brothers neck.

The neck was a 21-fret job, going into a heel for a 20-fret neck. To get the intonation right I moved the bridge an inch towards the nut.

The thing is, I'm used to playing a Darkstar'd Precision and the low-end is immense. Now I'm using a jazz with a great nasal- sound but a little bass-light I don't know if it is the pickup location or the actual pickups, but I need to add more bass.

I don't want to go active (I love an old-school sound and the bands who I work with definitely don't need that sound), so it's either put in some bassy wizards and potentially lose the sound I love or add a DarkStar in the neck position and maybe buffer it to match the output of my Jazz pickups (like a slightly more complex and better-looking tractor bass).

Heres the Tractor to show you what i mean

Dan

So what do I do about my set-up?

Since moving the bridge, I can't fit the second jazz p/u at the extreme bridge position. Do i deepen the neck pocket to recess the neck so the nut is at the standard jazz-neck position? Or fit the darkstar in an extreme neck-position as opposed to the position on the Tractor?

What d'ya think?

Dan

one point to bear in mind is the output from dark star pickups, unless you have a very hot jazz pickup the dark star is likely to overwhelm it. One option would be an active system which lets you set the gain on each pickup, I used an audare pre on a twin DS bass and set the low Z mode with more gain on the neck pickup for instant dub.

Dark star gets my vote!

Hey Steve,

I was thinking maybe using something to tame the DS rather than boost the jazz p/u's as I'm a passive nazi!!

Thats why the Wizards are appealing so much: no routing, very little fuss, hopefully very good sounding.

Any ideas how the modern tractor replicas deal with the level differences? I'd doubt an active buffer would be the method of choice!!

Dan

Not sure but i might be worth dropping Fred a line, The dudepit used to be a great source of info as i had a darkstar sub forum, there is a DS thread somewhere on Talkbass or you might find something on Badassbassplayers.com .Failing getting any advise there i would think the repairs forum here might throw up some good ideas.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='356512' date='Dec 16 2008, 11:14 PM']Go on, get an ACG pre and adjust the inputs on the blend :huh:

Not passive but not 3EQ either[/quote]

I wonder if the if the pbass version could be squeezed through a f hole :) Jack casady's Starfire had a whole heap of electronics and it never hurt his sound.

[quote name='dmz' post='357422' date='Dec 17 2008, 11:18 PM']Get two Darkstars........

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13622&hl=darkstar"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=darkstar[/url]

He he he[/quote]

Nice bass!!

Anyone got an opinion on whether Dark Stars would be a good choice for my Tele (currently has the original Fender humbucker at the extreme neck position). Quite happy with the sound of the present PUP but wondering if the Dark Stars would represent a significant improvement?
Chris

Ive never heard the original pickup but a darkstar is going to have more output, a wider frequency response and be a lot more articulate, if you like the pickup why change? its likely to change the character of the bass and it may not be what you what. Fred does make a DS3 in the pole spacing required ( as fitted to the Lakland decade)

Found some clips of the decade, half of them are the neck PU so it should give you an idea of what to expect, with current exchange rates you need to be sure you are going to like it as your looking at well over £100 even before the customs get their grubby mits on it

[quote name='Beedster' post='360838' date='Dec 22 2008, 12:09 PM']Anyone got an opinion on whether Dark Stars would be a good choice for my Tele (currently has the original Fender humbucker at the extreme neck position). Quite happy with the sound of the present PUP but wondering if the Dark Stars would represent a significant improvement?
Chris[/quote]

+1 on what Steve said.

Having had a Dark Starred bass I'd say it would be a good move and I believe the Dark Star drops in without any routing. The Dark Star would bring the bass alive but I can't guarantee it would be to your liking.

There's a Talkbass thread about it [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275848&highlight=telecaster+dark+star"]here[/url].

Edited by EssentialTension

Just found the lakland decade clips [url="http://www.lakland.com/ac_decade.htm"]here[/url] , sounds great I say go for it!

Edited by steve-norris