Why become a member? ×

Attempt at "Le Freak"

Shockwave

:) :huh:

Why did Bernard Edwards have such a difficult sense of timing? It sounds so nice on the recordings, But trying to emulate it is near impossible! All i can do is just bum note my way through it. I spend alot of time on trying to get the timing right and then i end up missing particular variations in the riffs. For example the quick octave jump at the beginning of the main line.

Anyway! Enough Ranting.

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg2mhoV4oZg"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg2mhoV4oZg[/url]

Heres my attempt at Le Freak by Chic. I used my new to me yamaha BB5000 through my Marshall bi-amp and peavey bi-amp cab. The yamaha has active 18volt fender electronics, and a set of old heavy roundwounds (Note i only play with very very very light and bright roundwounds so this was very new to me!)

Anyway, If anyone can give me some advice on emulating his technique and some opinion on the sound of the bass that will be lovely :huh:

can i assume that Bernard used a set of old Flats on his MM ?

- Rob. Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Shockwave' post='352777' date='Dec 12 2008, 03:08 PM']:) :huh:

Why did Bernard Edwards have such a difficult sense of timing? It sounds so nice on the recordings, But trying to emulate it is near impossible! All i can do is just bum note my way through it. I spend alot of time on trying to get the timing right and then i end up missing particular variations in the riffs. For example the quick octave jump at the beginning of the main line.

Anyway! Enough Ranting.

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg2mhoV4oZg"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg2mhoV4oZg[/url]

Heres my attempt at Le Freak by Chic. I used my new to me yamaha BB5000 through my Marshall bi-amp and peavey bi-amp cab. The yamaha has active 18volt fender electronics, and a set of old heavy roundwounds (Note i only play with very very very light and bright roundwounds so this was very new to me!)

Anyway, If anyone can give me some advice on emulating his technique and some opinion on the sound of the bass that will be lovely :huh:

can i assume that Bernard used a set of old Flats on his MM ?

- Rob.[/quote]

He was asked once what strings he uses....... " whatever comes fitted on a Musicman" he replied!!!! It's all in the hands!

[quote name='uptonmark' post='352991' date='Dec 12 2008, 06:55 PM']its a good attempt, nice sound

maybe make the notes shorter, nard seems to kill the note as soon as he plucks it (duff strings :huh: )

that way there is more of a gap, a more staccato(?) feel

a good example is his playing on WHY by carly simon :)[/quote]

This is why i am thinking he plays on really old flats. However i do love the slightly extended notes on the "freak out" bits. The yamaha's E string really sings!

Bernard Edwards used a Fender Jazz on such early Chic hits as “Dance, Dance, Dance (Yowsah, Yowsah, Yowsah)” but for much of his career he used a ’77 Music Man StingRay, which Duran Duran’s John Taylor now owns. His clean recorded sound in part comes from recording mostly direct. “Bernard never changed strings,” says Nile Rodgers. “In one of my favorite interview quotes of all time, Bernard was asked, [b]‘So, what kind of strings do you use?’ He looked at his bass and went, ‘I don’t know; what kind of strings come on a Music Man bass[/b]?’”

Nice playing! Nard is one of my heroes.
You are sliding down from the A twice (during the aaah Freak Out, Le Freak, C'est Chic phrase) when Nard only slides down the first time.

Sorry for being picky but I very rarely see people playing this bit correctly. Maybe I need to get out more!
:)

I reckon the key to Edwards playing is to loosen up and play like you're stoned. He does play some fairly stacatto notes on Le Freak but his timing is so laid back that its almost like he leaves it until the last possible millisecond to play each note before it loses the pocket. I noticed your feel, Rob was pushing the beat a fair bit and driving the song along which is really what the guitar does on that track.

From experience its utterly impossible to play in such a laid back way unless you have a drummer whose timing is very predictable. It takes a lot of practice and while I can do it during practice, I've more or less given up trying to do it live because the drummer can't play with the same laid back feel (in fact originally when we played this, he slowed down so he can play on top of the beat and then I played slower yet to stay behind him). Instead of emulating Bernards playing, I tend to leave the note until the last millisecond of our drummers pocket. Its not the same feel, but it has to do. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='353129' date='Dec 12 2008, 09:04 PM']Nice cover, Shockwave. Remember that a cover doesn't have to be exact. It's your interpretation of the music :)

That Yamaha BB5000 sounds great, btw! And I love your left hand technique. Looks just like mine... Neat and tidy with none of that thumb over the top nonsense :huh:[/quote]

Thanks mate. Though i wish i could believe its a nice cover!

The thumb creeps up but not over when i play higher up or when i just hold onto the neck without playing. I blame this on my knuckle scraping long arms and goalkeepers hands. I have never had a compliment on my playing technique before!

Edited by Shockwave