Jump to content
Dom in Somerset

Recycling a piano -short scale tele bass

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

May I suggest you name one of them Joanna please?

The P bass will be called Joanna (I want to keep the tele and that name has certain associations for me!)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

What type of wood is the fretboard? is it Oak?

Yes it's oak. Most pianos are poplar with various veneers, I had a panel from one that was oak with veneer , it will make about 8 fretboards. Bryan May used oak so I'm in good company.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A strip of oak from B&Q will set me back a lot less than finding some rosewood/ebony and slave my eco-conscience.

Plus I can choose a nice looking bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

A strip of oak from B&Q will set me back a lot less than finding some rosewood/ebony and slave my eco-conscience.

Plus I can choose a nice looking bit.

There are a lot of beautiful native timbers out there but they just aren't available commercially. Apple, pear, plum, damson , also quite a few garden trees such as laburnum. I used to make blowy instruments out of some of them in a former life.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More progress (and another side project)

The original T800 body was largely made by routing out a solid body, a face will be added later to close the chamber. This is the next generation where the central layer of the body is made up of edge pieces that form the hollow chamber.
DSC05147.thumb.JPG.6c8c5b8f50ad81720e13eeb7342d376e.JPG
Glueing/clamping:
DSC05148.thumb.JPG.c8a0a423e2f576cded9ab4b05d6cd636.JPG
The next generation body above will probably end up as one of those things with six skinny strings.
Meanwhile the T800 marches on....
Back of the now profiled neck showing original veneer on the back of the headstock and heel:
DSC05150.thumb.JPG.186a2547b3fce114985b985d666864e0.JPG
DSC05151.thumb.JPG.0caf33ac4e5ea9b25a6eb2fe1895913e.JPG
Trial assembly. I've put it together so I can try out different pickup regimes before making the front.
DSC05152.thumb.JPG.2a0bc9e3ba75617cfa7315d53f401368.JPG
 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joanna is complete apart from a new nut and a bit of fret levelling, it's been a useful test bed and is shaping up to be a good bass. I had a spare neck and pretty much all the hardware sitting around so it's used up a few spare parts.DSC05176.thumb.JPG.2fb04469314208f1445530c7bf7193c6.JPGDSC05177.thumb.JPG.9c95aec3c9d366f95e3f8b139741aa3d.JPGDSC05178.thumb.JPG.a2066adf566e64d3a6870bf191812ad6.JPG

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it!

The screws look far better than if you'd stopped the old drill holes with dowel.  They make the unfaded band of woodstain look intentional somehow.

Can't wait to hear how she plays.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clamp , clamping, clamped.
DSC05209.thumb.JPG.3720c67ee6a6d4c649c86b99e3a1725e.JPG
The face is now trimmed to fit and the neck pocket routed.
DSC05213.thumb.JPG.27dc63bd9dcf763570cbca960538797e.JPG
Next comes sanding and finishing the sides and neck before final assembly. 
The F holes look a bit out of line (further from the bottom edge than the top) it looked worse in the picture than it real life but I have since trimmed the body a bit more to rectify it.

Edited by Dom in Somerset
It was a bit crap.
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ready for sea trials! I still need a jack plate and strap buttons but I couldn't resist posting some pictures, I'm really pleased with the look and feel of it. I'm going to play it for a while and see what refinements are required.

DSC05229.thumb.JPG.7c91cd908ba02a13209ae2d95e210154.JPGDSC05231.thumb.JPG.54d937bc7418b0b64fffa2c2c21f495d.JPGDSC05232.thumb.JPG.f573e83897e72d6a89a595325c48f876.JPGDSC05233.thumb.JPG.7f0baacb9482fc7c6d21fce429ad5aea.JPG

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have rehearsed and gigged with the bass now, in fact I'm using it for a lunchtime gig tomorrow. So far I've replaced the pickup, it was originally an Entwistle but I tried a generic one that I got from AxesRus a few years ago that I liked due to it's big dynamic range. It's a bit clearer than the Entwistle too. 
It cut's through nicely without being too loud, great in the folk rock band I'm with tomorrow but not big enough for the country rock trio that I also play in.
DSC05235.thumb.JPG.f1aab0af7a4f35c0f735e78e22b51ed8.JPG
I've replaced the strap buttons with piano frame bolts (they hold the frame to the case) , this extends the position of the strap and improves balance.
DSC05237.thumb.JPG.a75e4e5e523a8f1108373c2237a5f87a.JPG
I can't stand those piddly little screws! There is no way these bad boys are working loose.

 

 

 

Edited by Dom in Somerset
Sometimes you just have to.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...