Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MAG C210T 300 combo

Bass-ic

I contacted ashdown regarding the 2x10"`s capability of handling the full 307w of the MAG300. Yes, you need an extention cabinet. I would advise you to save up some cash and go either for MAG300 head + 2x10" + 1x15"; or MAG300 head + 4x10"; Or just the MAG C410T 300 combo, because the 4x10" can handle 450w (according to the ashdown web catalog).

[quote name='fekalizatorius' post='351429' date='Dec 11 2008, 07:31 AM']Or just the MAG C410T 300 combo, because the 4x10" can handle 450w (according to the ashdown web catalog).[/quote]

Not sure on that one - I was under the impression the MAG410 ran at 8ohm so you can still have another cab. Sure the cab can handle 450w but the head won't put anywhere near that through it.

I used an Ashdown Mag 2x10 Combo and 1x15 Mag Deep Cab for years and in all honesty it was the most versatile, reliable and convenient rig I've ever owned.

I used the combo on it's own for small gigs, rehearsing and recording and added the 1x15 extension when I wanted to move a bit more air.

I only eventually moved on to the Superfly rig due to the rapid approach of old age and infirmity and. while I would certainly recommend my new rig to anyone, the Mag rig took some beating in terms of value for money.

Edited by bassicinstinct

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='351590' date='Dec 11 2008, 11:02 AM']I used an Ashdown Mag 2x10 Combo and 1x15 Mag Deep Cab for years and in all honesty it was the most versatile, reliable and convenient rig I've ever owned.

I used the combo on it's own for small gigs, rehearsing and recording and added the 1x15 extension when I wanted to move a bit more air.

I only eventually moved on to the Superfly rig due to the rapid approach of old age and infirmity and. while I would certainly recommend my new rig to anyone, the Mag rig took some beating in terms of value for money.[/quote]

Hi
Cheers
for that.

matt

had my 2x10 combo for nearly 2 years now and its brilliant. we've done a quite a few gigs together with loud drummer and 2 guitards and most of them i have done without going through the PA and with no volume problems. yes it is heavy but then thats peace of mind for road worthyness.
also heres a review i did for it after 6months and my opinion hasn't changed apart from the fact that i can now say it has been very reliable and survived having a whole bottle of fog fluid emptied into the back of it.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5855"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5855[/url]

the extra cab will give you the full watage but for practice and most gig work the combo is plenty good enough. the only time i have needed the extra cab i just DI'd into the PA and that covered it, onstage volume is plenty on its own.
if you like the tone you cant go wrong.

as for the funder i am assuming you mean the rumble and i looked at that as well but it was a little more and you couldnt hook up another cab.

if you like the mag tone then go for it.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='351643' date='Dec 11 2008, 11:40 AM']had my 2x10 combo for nearly 2 years now and its brilliant. we've done a quite a few gigs together with loud drummer and 2 guitards and most of them i have done without going through the PA and with no volume problems. yes it is heavy but then thats peace of mind for road worthyness.
also heres a review i did for it after 6months and my opinion hasn't changed apart from the fact that i can now say it has been very reliable and survived having a whole bottle of fog fluid emptied into the back of it.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5855"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5855[/url]

the extra cab will give you the full watage but for practice and most gig work the combo is plenty good enough. the only time i have needed the extra cab i just DI'd into the PA and that covered it, onstage volume is plenty on its own.
if you like the tone you cant go wrong.

as for the funder i am assuming you mean the rumble and i looked at that as well but it was a little more and you couldnt hook up another cab.

if you like the mag tone then go for it.[/quote]

I'd agree with all of the above. I should add that mine has turned out to be too powerful for my needs and too cumbersome to justify keeping, so I'm going to be shifting it for something smaller in the New Year.

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='351574' date='Dec 11 2008, 10:49 AM']I am trying to decipher the whole amp thing. its complicated.[/quote]

You're not wrong, there's lot's of terminology and concepts that you have to get to grips with ! I'm still learning things myself.

I have the very combo, plus the extra 115T bin.

My opinion:

I do various pub gigs and have never felt I'm pushing the combo. I have rarely used the 115T bin, and I think it was a bit of a mistake as there does appear to be some funny phasey kind of things going on. Search the threads and you'll see some of the experts on here will warn you about this when mixing driver sizes.

Anyway, back to the 210 combo. I love it! I did try a huge Trace Elliott rig last week with an 18" in the cab and my mind was blown away, but I think for what I do, and the fact that it needs to fit in my car, then it's absolutely fine for my purposes. I was also using it as a practice amp in my house the other night. The fact that it's a combo means it gets a bit heavy if you're carrying it for more than a few yards at a time.

The only thing that really f**ks me off about it are the pots. There is no real reassuring resistance in them when you turn them or notched centering in the EQ ones, so it is easy to knock them. I have even done this mid gig with the back of my leg before!

I bought mine early 2004 so they may have improved them since. I guess if you're clever enough you could replace the pots, but I've never been that bored!

EDIT: Just remembered, it does sometimes rattle. I have seen other people moan about this on various web sites. It does disconcertingly sound like a poorly driver, but everyone seems to think its a loose grille or bit of wood in the cab. It doesn't always happen, and most people wouldn't notice at pub levels anyway.

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='351700' date='Dec 11 2008, 12:40 PM']I have the very combo, plus the extra 115T bin.

My opinion:

I do various pub gigs and have never felt I'm pushing the combo. I have rarely used the 115T bin, and I think it was a bit of a mistake as there does appear to be some funny phasey kind of things going on. Search the threads and you'll see some of the experts on here will warn you about this when mixing driver sizes.

Anyway, back to the 210 combo. I love it! I did try a huge Trace Elliott rig last week with an 18" in the cab and my mind was blown away, but I think for what I do, and the fact that it needs to fit in my car, then it's absolutely fine for my purposes. I was also using it as a practice amp in my house the other night. The fact that it's a combo means it gets a bit heavy if you're carrying it for more than a few yards at a time.

The only thing that really f**ks me off about it are the pots. There is no real reassuring resistance in them when you turn them or notched centering in the EQ ones, so it is easy to knock them. I have even done this mid gig with the back of my leg before!

I bought mine early 2004 so they may have improved them since. I guess if you're clever enough you could replace the pots, but I've never been that bored!

EDIT: Just remembered, it does sometimes rattle. I have seen other people moan about this on various web sites. It does disconcertingly sound like a poorly driver, but everyone seems to think its a loose grille or bit of wood in the cab. It doesn't always happen, and most people wouldn't notice at pub levels anyway.[/quote]

Cheers HH

Matt

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='351737' date='Dec 11 2008, 01:23 PM']sorry SK8, I didnt understand any of that.[/quote]

basically, the 414 cab is a 4x10 and runs at 4ohms, the head will only put out its full power when running at 4ohms. standard cabs usually run at 8 ohms so less power is sent out (for a 300watt head you would get about 200 watts at 8ohms) but you can have 2 8 ohm cabs which would mean together they run the head at 4ohms and thus you would get the full 300 watts.