Why become a member? ×

Squier VMJ Fretless

lateralus462

[quote name='lateralus462' post='350542' date='Dec 10 2008, 11:49 AM']I've just ordered one - should be with me at some point next week which is good BUT.....................

I'm not sure I like the whole scratchplatelessness of them - how easy would it be to get a scratch plate to fit this? (I'm thinking tort would look nice)[/quote]

I imagine that any Jazz scratchplate would fit. You don't have to worry about the holes lining up, because the bass doesn't have any! You'd need to drill the pilot holes yourself.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='350624' date='Dec 10 2008, 01:00 PM']I imagine that any Jazz scratchplate would fit. You don't have to worry about the holes lining up, because the bass doesn't have any! You'd need to drill the pilot holes yourself.

S.P.[/quote]

I thought that would probably be the case. Can't wait (although I'm probably going to find I'm sh*t at fretless and sell it almost straight away after it arrives!!!!)

Edited by lateralus462

[quote name='lateralus462' post='350636' date='Dec 10 2008, 01:09 PM']I thought that would probably be the case. Can't wait (although I'm probably going to find I'm sh*t at fretless and sell it almost straight away after it arrives!!!!)[/quote]

Probably best to hold off on the scratchplate until (a) you decide to definitely keep it and (b) you decide to use it at a gig. Having screw holes in it will probably harm its resale value by a few quid.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='350651' date='Dec 10 2008, 01:20 PM']Probably best to hold off on the scratchplate until (a) you decide to definitely keep it and (:) you decide to use it at a gig. Having screw holes in it will probably harm its resale value by a few quid.

S.P.[/quote]

Good point - although I am pretty sure I'll be using it for gigs - I bought it for one song in our set that'll sound awesome on fretless (it is quite a simple line so I should be OK).

[quote name='lateralus462' post='350669' date='Dec 10 2008, 01:32 PM']Good point - although I am pretty sure I'll be using it for gigs - I bought it for one song in our set that'll sound awesome on fretless (it is quite a simple line so I should be OK).[/quote]

Well, just to be argumentative I would say that the chrome control plate sitting there on its own looks daft. If they had rear routed this and mounted the controls [i]sans[/i] plate then maybe (although that would have increased cost). The whole thing smacks of "Jaco did it so it's THE WAY" kind of thing. To me it looks unfinished.

To the OP - yes, remember to drill pilot holes. You have the luxury of a virgin surface to apply a pickguard to, no existing holes. Changing pickguards on a Squier is a nightmare of misaligned holes which need filled because no-one seems to be able to agree on where to drill. Or what angle sometimes. Make sure you get a pickguard which does not have the notch out for the truss rod adjustment at the neck heel, because you won't have one there!

[quote name='neepheid' post='350748' date='Dec 10 2008, 02:17 PM']Well, just to be argumentative I would say that the chrome control plate sitting there on its own looks daft. If they had rear routed this and mounted the controls [i]sans[/i] plate then maybe (although that would have increased cost). The whole thing smacks of "Jaco did it so it's THE WAY" kind of thing. To me it looks unfinished.

To the OP - yes, remember to drill pilot holes. You have the luxury of a virgin surface to apply a pickguard to, no existing holes. Changing pickguards on a Squier is a nightmare of misaligned holes which need filled because no-one seems to be able to agree on where to drill. Or what angle sometimes. Make sure you get a pickguard which does not have the notch out for the truss rod adjustment at the neck heel, because you won't have one there![/quote]

Exactly - I keep looking at the pics and, well it looks like it needs a scratchplate - someone made a point earlier about the sunburst being quite light so I'm thinking maybe a lighter scratchplate (maybe pearloid?) would look better.

I think I'll need to get it sorted though - I can't play a bass that looks like arse. (and in my opinion Jazz minus Scratchplate = arse)

[quote name='Linus27' post='350829' date='Dec 10 2008, 03:19 PM']Yeah, thats what I think also. If your going to ruin it, :) I mean, change it and add a scratchplate, then I would choose black.[/quote]

Aren't individual opinions great :huh:

Seriously though - I wouldn't have bought this Bass on looks, it's the decent reviews (and the price that swayed me).

I think Jazz basses without the pickguard look fugly, so when I recieve mine I will change it (and surely even if I decided to take it off again the screw holes that are left would make it look more "Jaco" anyway?

[quote name='lateralus462' post='350845' date='Dec 10 2008, 03:23 PM']I think Jazz basses without the pickguard look fugly, so when I recieve mine I will change it (and surely even if I decided to take it off again the screw holes that are left would make it look more "Jaco" anyway?[/quote]

The same thought had occurred to me.

S.P.

[quote name='lateralus462' post='350845' date='Dec 10 2008, 03:23 PM']Aren't individual opinions great :)

Seriously though - I wouldn't have bought this Bass on looks, it's the decent reviews (and the price that swayed me).

I think Jazz basses without the pickguard look fugly, so when I recieve mine I will change it (and surely even if I decided to take it off again the screw holes that are left would make it look more "Jaco" anyway?[/quote]

HEHE I have a black jazz that I have taken the white scratplate of leaving the holes and it looks great.

Anyway, I love my VMJ and I am sure your going to love yours when you get it. they are superb. The neck is especially brillaint.

[quote name='Linus27' post='350930' date='Dec 10 2008, 04:01 PM']HEHE I have a black jazz that I have taken the white scratplate of leaving the holes and it looks great.

Anyway, I love my VMJ and I am sure your going to love yours when you get it. they are superb. The neck is especially brillaint.[/quote]

I certainly hope so - just checked and it may be with me tomorrow - I can't wait!!!!!

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='350721' date='Dec 10 2008, 02:01 PM']Ish. Play it so that the edge of your fingertip is on the line. If you play it with your finger centred on the line, you'll be sharp.

S.P.[/quote]

Ish again! You really need to use the lines as a guide. IMO, there is no substitute for using you ears on a fretless, and you will need to make minor adjustments to where you "fret" a note as you play, rather than rely slavishly on the lines. All part of the fretless fun!

I very nearly bought Pentode's VMJ a few weeks back - I think it looks fantastic with a tort scratchplate.

[quote name='simon1964' post='352404' date='Dec 12 2008, 08:39 AM']Ish again! You really need to use the lines as a guide. IMO, there is no substitute for using you ears on a fretless, and you will need to make minor adjustments to where you "fret" a note as you play, rather than rely slavishly on the lines. All part of the fretless fun!

I very nearly bought Pentode's VMJ a few weeks back - I think it looks fantastic with a tort scratchplate.[/quote]

Yeah very good point. Your ears are always your best option.

[quote name='lateralus462' post='352826' date='Dec 12 2008, 03:46 PM']it's at home waiting for me :)

Might have to duck out of work early today!!!!! And the scratchplate I ordered arrived today. I love it when a plan comes together.[/quote]

You only ordered it two days ago - that's prompt service! Where did you buy it from?

S.P.