Why become a member? ×

Is there anyone in Bedfordshire who'd be able to polish some scratches out of my bass?

I know, the title was quite long but it explains it.

I'm wondering if there is anyone in Bedfordshire who would be able to polish some scratches out of a bass for me? My number 1 bass is being retired as it holds too much sentimental value but it has a few surface scratches in it that I'd like to have polished out. I don't have the equipment or know how for doing this sort of thing so any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Assuming this is a painted bass, you could try using T-Cut on a soft cloth. Old, washed out t-shirts are good. It'll take a fair bit of elbow grease though.

Even if you don't get all the scratches out, they represent good honest mojo. Enjoy the bass with all the memories.

13 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Assuming this is a painted bass, you could try using T-Cut on a soft cloth. Old, washed out t-shirts are good. It'll take a fair bit of elbow grease though.

Even if you don't get all the scratches out, they represent good honest mojo. Enjoy the bass with all the memories.

I should have explained, it's a trans red finish on top of flame maple. Problem is, the main one on the front was done when something got caught in my cleaning cloth and it scratched it when I gave it a wipe before. 
I could give T-cut a go but I know I'll just end up wanting it done properly so it looks new again. I'm a bit weird like that haha! Thank you for the suggestion though.

Right. Yes, this wouldn't be a T-Cut job. The answer might be a gentle rub down and re-lacquer. It all depends on how deep the scratches go  Do they remove the red?

I've done paint re-sprays, but most at home on doing natural finishes. I have a trans blue one to do for myself, but this will be my first trans finish job. 

It's a shame you can't get Grover Grime Guard anymore. I had some years back and it was unbelievable for removing scratches. 

I manages to scratch a brand new Candy Apple Red P Bass removing the scratch plate to tighten the jack socket, (too lazy to remove strings, lesson learnt). It went down to the primer. a quick polish and the scratch was gone. It appears to be able to pick up the surrounding finish and use it to fill in the scratch somehow. A bit like some car scratch removers. awesome product.

if it's a 'commercial' finish on a mass produced instrument then it's almost certainly poly which means it'll be quite thick, in which case a strip down, flat with wet and dry to 2000 and buff on a wheel would probably get it looking like new, either that or a drop fill and flat/buff.  A local guitar tech/luthier would be your best best. There might be someone on the recommended luthiers list here....