Why become a member? ×

Reggae Bass?

Ricky 4000

I borrowed one of those stick basses years ago and I couldn't get on with it at all. I found I was wanting to go round in circles as my fore arm counters the pressure that my left hand puts on the fret board. With the stick bass I couldn't push back. It was just too weird an experience for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A ska band (Rat Race) we played with back in March (our last gig before germigeddon) the bass player used a Steinberger or Hohner headless cricket bat and it sounded amazing. 

On the doublebass front I've said for years if our acoustic band ever packed it in I'd get an acoustic ska band together playing the original 1st wave stuff. The electric band I'm in does Mod, Northern Soul and Ska but mainly from the ska and mod revival period (late 70s 2nd wave) so any original ska is invariably the cover version by The Clash, The Specials, The Lambrettas, etc, but when we muck about in the acoustic band and do some they sound great on doublebass and acoustic guitar. 

I've even got the name sorted, "Skacoustic!" So no ones allowed that name 😉. The rhythm guitarist/singer in the electric band soley uses a 12 string acoustic and has a rotary speaker pedal on some songs and it really sounds good for a Hammond sound, that with 6 string acoustic doing the melodies, doublebass and a brass section would be fantastic I reckon. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Is that the headless one, I’ve seen Earl falconer play many times but I’m not sure if it’s a Hohner or a steinberger , but it sounded great 

I believe it is mate, the cricket bat shaped one. Having a look around, a battered B2 seems to be a similar price to a brand new Steinberger Spirit!

More research required, but the new budget Steinberger might be a better bet for me.

I used to have a Hohner Jack bass (headless, active, but regular body shape), and that was pretty good. 🙂

4 minutes ago, Maude said:

A ska band (Rat Race) we played with back in March (our last gig before germigeddon) the bass player used a Steinberger or Hohner headless cricket bat and it sounded amazing. 

On the doublebass front I've said for years if our acoustic band ever packed it in I'd get an acoustic ska band together playing the original 1st wave stuff. The electric band I'm in does Mod, Northern Soul and Ska but mainly from the ska and mod revival period (late 70s 2nd wave) so any original ska is invariably the cover version by The Clash, The Specials, The Lambrettas, etc, but when we muck about in the acoustic band and do some they sound great on doublebass and acoustic guitar. 

I've even got the name sorted, "Skacoustic!" So no ones allowed that name 😉. The rhythm guitarist/singer in the electric band soley uses a 12 string acoustic and has a rotary speaker pedal on some songs and it really sounds good for a Hammond sound, that with 6 string acoustic doing the melodies, doublebass and a brass section would be fantastic I reckon. 

That's Ok, because my ska band will be called "Readers Wives" 😛

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, ubit said:

I borrowed one of those stick basses years ago and I couldn't get on with it at all. I found I was wanting to go round in circles as my fore arm counters the pressure that my left hand puts on the fret board. With the stick bass I couldn't push back. It was just too weird an experience for me.

Hrm, that's a thought...