Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question for those of you who use a looper pedal live...

Kiwi

I use a Digitech JamMan. It has a tap tempo function so I tap one pedal couple of times before I activate the loop using the other pedal. I've also loaded prerecorded stuff on to it via the memory card and wanted to use one channel to send a click to the drummer with the other channel going to the desk but couldn't cos it's mono out, so I use a mp3 player for this.

cheers

Steve

Forgot to say, drummer couldn't hear loop when we tried it that way round so locking in was difficult and it could change the tempo of the song, so matching the loop to the song was the best way. it works most of the time!

Edited by Muppet

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='349277' date='Dec 9 2008, 01:05 AM']hiya steve, so does that mean you can't adjust the tempo mid song?[/quote]

With this unit you can, but as far as I'm aware, not whilst it's playing. I stop it, then tap, then re-start. If this unit can do it whilst playing that would be great and maybe I've not read the instructions well enough, but I get away with it at the moment cos I'm using small loops for parts of songs....

cheers

Steve

Edited by Muppet

The EHX SMM/H will tempo shift a loop while playing, but it doesn't have an undo feature.

One option is to use the click and quantise on the Boss RC series and once the loop is going turn the click down.

This will sound like ass live :)

Generally the drummer needs to lock in with your out of time loop :huh: and they hate it

Edited by tayste_2000

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='349389' date='Dec 9 2008, 09:25 AM']Generally the drummer needs to lock in with your out of time loop :) and they hate it[/quote]
Yeah, well its simply not going to happen with ours. We tried getting him to play to a click when we recorded and he was so focused on staying with the click that his playing lost all its feel. That's kind of why I'd like something that I can adjust on the fly. Otherwise he has a habit of speeding up when he anticipates a more energetic part of the song coming up, like a chorus or bridge. Personally I think he just needs to practice with a click and get used to zoning in and out on it every few bars.

I don't use a looper and this is no use for live work, but an interesting thought on playing to a click...

To track drums for my new band, we demo the songs with a drum machine so obviously a constant tempo, and then I play the drums to a guide mix including a drum mix with some fills and everything. It's a lot easier than playing to just a click and perhaps your drummer could benefit from this technique in the studio?

Sorry CK,

But I've [i]never[/i] been able to get a looper and drummer working well together. My loops are always a fraction out and after 64 cycles, that a good beat or two away from where you want it to be.

I've had a clicked up drummer, but tempo shifts from the drummer aren't a worry, its the impossibility to get it to work within the milliseconds that form 'groove'.

Sending a midi click from Ableton and arranging a Behringer FCB to trigger keys on a laptop is a different matter altogether, very easy, but too tech-heavy for gigging. (I gig by the motto "The more technology, the more chance of things going wrong", and I play midi bass :)).

Dan

Edited by TheBrokenDoor

I only use mine for making loops of really phat noise, so it doesn't have to be in time.

But if we do attempt something like that, we normally just record a loop, and make do with whatever crappy timing I pull out of it :)

Never try to get you and your guitarist simultaneously looping. From experience, this is pretty much impossible :huh:

And I don't really use the EHXSMM/H for looping, but while you can change the tempo on the fly, its not tap tempo, and it changes the pitch of the loop. Actucally, can you change it with the tap tempo button while the loop is going? I've never tried that.

You could probably synch two loopers together for you and your guitarist, although you'd have to fight over who got to tap the master tempo.

My guitarist does some lines with his delay pedal set in time i.e the pedal contributes to the rythm of the line, and I have no problem drumming to it as long as I can hear him.

[quote name='Finbar' post='349465' date='Dec 9 2008, 10:45 AM']Actucally, can you change it with the tap tempo button while the loop is going? I've never tried that.[/quote]

Yes you can and it does not alter the pitch though massive shifts will make it sound a bit glitchy but slight ones are fine.