Why become a member? ×

Strap locks for thick strap

slystewart

I have a bass guitar strap in leather..and wanted to fit strap locks to it so I ordered a set the ones with the 2 locking nuts to them only to find once the strp lock is pushed through I cant get the 2 lock nuts on due to the thickness of the leather any ideas or locks that might do the trick ....thanks

Have a snip with sharp scissors? Sometimes the new leather is so stiff that it needs "persuading" with some pliers to make it more, erm pliable.

Had to do this with a strap my missus bought me last christmas. Once i was able to get the nut on i used a spanner and ratchet to tighten it. Still on a year later.

Sometimes a foolish ham-fisted approach is the best way!

Aye, I just hacked at my Levy's strap with a knife and had a good mash at it to compact it with some pliers, then spent a good 20 minutes swearing and pliering the straplocks into position.

Naturally, I put one on the wrong way round, so I had to do it all over again ¬_¬

[quote name='Bassman101' post='349602' date='Dec 9 2008, 12:21 PM']im looking at those planet waves straps that lock like this...

[url="http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/planet-waves-locking-guitar-strap-black-p-2458.html"]http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/planet-waves-...ack-p-2458.html[/url]

You can find em cheaper, its just this is the first one i found through google

Daljit.[/quote]

Our guitarist had these fail on him. Love Planet Waves' leads but these are too flimsy, as were their old locking straps (seen these break too)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='349994' date='Dec 9 2008, 05:50 PM']Our guitarist had these fail on him. Love Planet Waves' leads but these are too flimsy, as were their old locking straps (seen these break too)[/quote]

Hmm, i may have to stick to good old dunlop straplocks then :), but ill probably buy one of those for rehursals and see how it gets on.

I needed to fit some Schaller straplocks to my strap and had to widen the hole in the strap to 10mm to get the threaded bit through OK.
A bit extreme, but a hollow punch heated up red hot with a blow torch went through the leather like butter and left a perfect hole, cauterized to boot!

Brute force (or heat in this case) and ignorance prevails once again!!!

Yee ha!

edit:spelling, Timothy

Edited by jonthebass