Why become a member? ×

Hi from the Essex Riviera

Paul S

Been lurking here a while but thought I'd finally come out. This forum is a tremendous asset and, seemingly, the font of all deep knowledge. I hope so 'cos I have a whole pile of questions...

So - about me. A familiar story for many I am sure - a few years ago I reached my mid-forties and was faced with the usual choices - would it be a sports car, a mistress or do I take up the guitar again after a lapse of 25 years? Couldn't afford the first two so plumped for a guitar, but this time with 4 strings.

Then I realised that 4 strings didn't make it 2/3 easier to play and the cheapo Peavey kit started gathering dust in the corner.

Then about a year ago I started getting restless again and started getting inspired to pick it up again. I looked around and found myself a fantastic vintage Hayman 4040 in superb condition and have continued the love affair ever since.

A few months ago I joined up with a newish covers band, full of old fellas like me, and have since got my first ever public performance under my belt - now I know what drug addicts feel like! I WANT MORE!!

I re-strung the Hayman and noticed the bridge was getting rather fragile - it has a clear perspex bit that has started to crack. It is too precious to risk further damage until I get it sorted so needed a new guitar. Trouble is, the Hayman spoiled me and, after spending a couple of days in the local shop, ended up with a beautiful Fender Jaguar and now I'm in love all over again.

Anyway, enough of the waffle, it is good to be here and I hope to fill in a lot of the blanks with loads of stupid questions.

[quote name='Paul S' post='348404' date='Dec 8 2008, 11:34 AM']Hi Guys. Clacton? That's somewhere up north isn't it? :) Maybe I should be more accurate - the Thames Delta in South Benfleet.[/quote]

Not far from me then (not now, I'm in France) but we were BILLERICAY

Welcome.

[quote name='Paul S' post='350477' date='Dec 10 2008, 10:50 AM']So - southeast Essex is ankle deep in bassists! Lovely. Or, at least, used to be before everyone left :huh: .

Ray - just listening to your myspace entries as I type - awesome! - do you gig locally?[/quote]
Hi Paul,
London is as local as we get. Would be good to do some more local gigs but there aren't many suitable venues unfortunately. :)
Cheers.

Hi Ray

That's a shame - I rarely go further than the Cliffs Pavillion these days to see bands...

Nig - yeah, why not? Bit short notice but I am thinking of popping along to the Riga Bar this Friday to see the Who tribute band - they look pretty good from the website clips. Up for it?

Yep, loads of bassists and no gigs. :) :huh: :huh: . I may just go down to riga on friday, I have a gig either fri or sat, I know steve and dave at riga and they need all the support they can get, I will find out what im doing and get back to you, @ guzzibass Im at the shoulder of mutton where you saw the yaks, im sure its saturday but will double check.