Why become a member? ×

78 Gibson Ripper, Pick Vs Fingers

Bill

Hey Basschat,  i did one of these with the Mustang and thought it would be cool to do the same for the Ripper! i personally prefer and really like the sound of the pick on this bass (coming from a 99 percent fingerstyle player)

What are you guys feeling? oh and also feel free to share pics and vids of your Ripper basses.

Bill.

• Like 5

I've wanted to play a Ripper with a pick into an overdriven valve amp for a few years now, this doesn't help :D

I was actually surprised at how similar the tone sounded when you switched to fingers - a little less top end, but not a lot in it, far less difference than on, say, a Precision.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cato said:

Nice bass, nice bit of playing too.

I've been largely free of Bass Gas recently, but if Gibson were to reissue the Ripper, Grabber or G3 basses I might have to get the wallet out.

Knowing Gibson, if they were to do that, they'd only bear a passing resemblance to the 70s Rippers and Grabbers

• Like 1

On 28/02/2019 at 20:25, mr4stringz said:

I’m a fingerstyle player all the way but on my ‘76 Ripper it just doesn’t cut it. Definitely needs a pick. But then, there isn’t another Ripper quite like mine. It came to me like this. God it’s a state but I love it to bit!

56973AE1-46D9-4D9C-932A-6A1FD80EC6AC.jpeg

That is a beauty, love the cream pickup against the black body! lovely!

How much was she?

Crazily £350 about 10 years ago due to the mods and overall condition. The finish is dreadful but doesn’t show up in pics, but I have no intention of tarting it up.

On account of the pickup (which is without doubt the hottest pickup I’ve encountered) sonically it’s the opposite of versatile. But if growly and raspy is what works (which it does in my current band) it’s superb.

YOB bass for me too so won’t ever be moved on...

• Like 1

On 03/03/2019 at 13:20, mr4stringz said:

Crazily £350 about 10 years ago due to the mods and overall condition. The finish is dreadful but doesn’t show up in pics, but I have no intention of tarting it up.

On account of the pickup (which is without doubt the hottest pickup I’ve encountered) sonically it’s the opposite of versatile. But if growly and raspy is what works (which it does in my current band) it’s superb.

YOB bass for me too so won’t ever be moved on...

Wow, that is cheap compared to the price they're going for these days, i dig the black ones just as much as the natural bodied rippers.