Why become a member? ×

Double bass string length question

Hanry

Hello chatters,

A year ago I bought (through this fabulous site) a gorgeous Bassix upright bass. It needed a bit of fixing up, but I am growing some finger muscles now 🙂

I want to start using it in an orchestra and it currently has some finger-style strings on which don't respond much to the bow. Off I am, shopping for strings...
The strings I can find for sale all say "3/4" or "4/4" - which is of course all about the swinging length of the string - but they never write on how long the actual string is. And with the Bassix, that might be a bit risky: from the bridge the strings wrap around the entire slab of wood and back up. 
From the ball-end to the bridge it's therefore about 12" / 30cm, which is a fair bit longer than on a traditional double bass. Granted, the headstock is a bit shorter than on a classical instrument, but still - I worry that 3/4 strings may be too short?

If you have a common "3/4" string handy and could tell me the actual length end to end - or if you have experiences with basses like the Bassix and can recommend an affordable set of classical strings... I would be very grateful!

Hanry