Why become a member? ×

Warning. Ovation FL on eBay

Beedster

Quick heads up about this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ovation-B768x-Fretless-Bass/223386387132

It was listed at £1,000 initially. I've always wanted one of these, having owned the fretted version. I contacted the seller - indicating that given what looks like a split down the front of the body plus the look of general wear - I'd be interested in buying but at nowhere near that price (note that he had initially indicated in the listing that the bass was unused).

He came back with 'my dad bought it new in early 90's and it's sat in its case unused for close to 30 years' (he still maintains it's virtually unused in the listing). Clearly crap given the condition, so I walked away.

He then pushed the price to £2,000 claiming - and providing apparent evidence - that the bass had in fact been owned all that time by Ronnie Wood of the Stones (who I guess might just be his father), with a signed photo of Mr Wood with alleged bass, although there was no photo of the serial number to verify any of it.

Anyway, he's now removed both stories from the listing. If you are interested in this bass - which at £2000 you certainly shouldn't be - don't trust any of the crap the seller might tell you. 

But what a great Certificate! I'm particularly impressed by the need to write in the serial number and year in pen, because he presumably issued one of these certificates every time he sold one of Ronnie Wood's many Ovation fretless acoustic basses.

Incidentally, Paul Karslake used to be Ronnie Wood's brother-in-law, so you'd think he's know which "ten years" Ronnie played this bass. He might also be in a position to work out who "Santana's bassist" might have been.

1 hour ago, oldslapper said:

Well at least he’s changed the price. 

The wrong way! (4K) !!!!!!

Crikey, it'll be there a while! I offered him £450 which I though was over the odds to be honest. Unplayed my a**e .......:)

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

But what a great Certificate! I'm particularly impressed by the need to write in the serial number and year in pen, because he presumably issued one of these certificates every time he sold one of Ronnie Wood's many Ovation fretless acoustic basses.

Incidentally, Paul Karslake used to be Ronnie Wood's brother-in-law, so you'd think he's know which "ten years" Ronnie played this bass. He might also be in a position to work out who "Santana's bassist" might have been.

Well I guess at least there's a genuine connection, but yes, none of it sounds exactly kosher does it :)

• 3 months later...

If you look closely at the certificate you will notice its a free template from this website

https://www.certificatestreet.com/blank_6/school-award-certificate-template_126.html

Anyone can make one and write whatever they like on it.  I

Did you look at the other items the same person has for sale? 

There is another guitar with a similar certificate created on exactly the same day.

Check it out.

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

If you ignore the dirty great cracks along the top :)

There was a fretted 5 celebrity version on here recently. Always loved the look of ovations and the leaf soundholes.

i’ll be honest Chris, I didn’t look at it that closely as the guy’s obviously some sort of crook.

Edited by AndyTravis

2 hours ago, The Redbadger said:

If you look closely at the certificate you will notice its a free template from this website

https://www.certificatestreet.com/blank_6/school-award-certificate-template_126.html

Anyone can make one and write whatever they like on it.  I

Did you look at the other items the same person has for sale? 

There is another guitar with a similar certificate created on exactly the same day.

Check it out.

I suspect from Jack's post that there's a legitimate connection with the Stones/Wood, but given the story the seller initially told me, it all smells a little post hoc :)

The seller's username is "tedkarslake" and lives in Leigh on Sea.

He's also selling this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ovation-Custom-Ballladeer-1612/223533081085?hash=item340b9c21fd:g:yaQAAOSwa55cVZ6L

A professional musician called 'Ted Karslake' is on twitter and shares tweetws with Paul Karslake, the artist who was indeed Ronnie Wood's BIL and also lives in Leigh on Sea.

As the guitars are 'collection only' I think the balance of probability is that they are genuine.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

50 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The seller's username is "tedkarslake" and lives in Leigh on Sea.

He's also selling this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ovation-Custom-Ballladeer-1612/223533081085?hash=item340b9c21fd:g:yaQAAOSwa55cVZ6L

A professional musician called 'Ted Karslake' is on twitter and shares tweetws with Paul Karslake, the artist who was indeed Ronnie Wood's BIL and also lives in Leigh on Sea.

As the guitars are 'collection only' I think the balance of probability is that they are genuine.

If I needed a few quid, had a relative who was related to the Stones, and a couple of really stinky poo guitars that no-one but an idiot would buy, I wonder what I might do........?

Check out the OP mate, the seller talked all sorts of crap re provenance (e.g., "Father bought it new") before it suddenly became an ex-Stones bass