Why become a member? ×

Smallest/Lightest Dual Channel Rig/Combo!?

Mikey D

Ok, so I currently have a Phil Jones Suitcase and 4B which I am more than happy with soundwise, apart from the weight!

I am looking for a combo or rig that will take 2 inputs and have the option to use them both at the same time as I play this bad boy:

but I also need the amp to be capable of handling Upright bass and electric bass.

It will mainly be used for rehearsals and smaller gigs so I don't have to lug around the Phil Jones, but ideally if it can cover most of the gigs I will do the Phil Jones will go...

I am currently looking at this set up:

So £499 and 3lbs!!!
And whatever the Schroeder costs and 17lbs!! If I go for the light 10+ or maybe the 12+ if I want to be able to handle more bass...

20lbs for a dual channel 300w mini rig....oooh
Opinions on either the head or cab? Any other combinations of combos that you guys recommend?

Edited by Mikey D

FWIW I had a Schroeder 1210 and an Iamp 800 and it was a real mismatch. The combination of the very hi-fi Iamp and the very mid-prominent Schroeder sounded horrible to me. Just too nasal and mid honky. I wouldn't get this rig unless you can try it out first. I've never heard a Schroeder mini but going by other people's reviews they are even more mid- prominent than the medium Schroeders.

There's a thread on Talkbass called "show your mini rigs ". It would be a good place to look for small rig ideas, although you may have to search for it.

Edited by PaulMartin

[quote name='therealting' post='36811' date='Jul 25 2007, 12:17 PM']Markbass LMK perhaps? Ultralightweight, powerful, dual channel...[/quote]

I'm currently using a Markbass LMK with an Epifani UL110 for upright mostly, I've used it with a sixstring bass on a low volume gig, and done a blues gig with two stacked UL 110's (the second curtesy of Rhino)
I don't think I could improve on tone and portability.

The Acoustic Image head would be a good choice - but a bit limited on eq? Depending on volume needs you might get away with their (light) combo, but I've only ever heard them with acoustic bass in very polite settings....not sure how well they cope in more demanding circumstances.

BB