Why become a member? ×

Cuban Music..Any Suggestions?

seashell

My friend and I are off to Cuba for our hols in a couple of weeks.  I'm looking forward to hearing some Cuban music, but I'm not all that familiar with it.  

Can anyone give me some suggestions for Cuban music we could play in the car on the way to Gatwick to get us in the mood?

Thank you, Basschat 🙂

• Like 1

Buena Vista Social Club is a good place to start...

I’m sure much more learned folks will be along, but definitely worth a start. Saw them live 15 odd years ago and it was a brilliant gig.

One of the worlds coolest Bassman players in its hottest countries!

For some recent-ish stuff I really liked this album - https://www.amazon.com/Havana-Cultura-Anthology-Gilles-Peterson/dp/B01M21BI70

On the other hand, this album is a lovely set of recordings from the 1950s from the great Cachao https://www.amazon.com/Havana-Sessions-Cachao/dp/B000UZ4H3Q
They were recorded late at night after the musicians had finished playing in clubs etc.

Many thanks for the suggestions, peeps. I'll certainly have a listen to all that. The podcast sounds interesting. I've never really bothered with podcasts before, so maybe it's time I started. 

And thanks for the good wishes, Teebs. I can't wait. This is the first holiday I've had outside Europe since 1990! 🙂