Why become a member? ×

Bridges

agoulding

I am thinking about modding my my ibby srx and i wanna change the bridge. Whats the score with getting bridges, can you simply attach them by screwing them on or do you have to go by the screw holes, the size or what? i have no experience altering hardware on basses so i would appreciate any advice.

churrs. alex.

Why do you want a new bridge?

The Ibby ones are fairly substantial, and most people upgrade their Fenders/Gibsons (or Ricks) because the original part is either rubbish (Fender's bent tin) or they need something with more adjustment (ie, replacing Gibbo's 3 point non adjustable one).

You can pretty much go via the screws as *most* bridges *should* line up due to the nature of where the strings have to be, but not always, quite a few need new holes put in the bass so as to be in the correct position.

Look in the hardware/repairs subforum: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=12"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=12[/url]

I would not do it personally. You could spend a lot of money but will still have a cheap bass (assuming it is a cheap bass). Ibanez gear is pretty good straight anyway so you could actually de-value the instrument. Put the money towards buying a new bass with black hardware. But then again I am having my Spitfire blacked up :)

First off, try contacting the manufacturer and seeing if they do a replacement bridge of the same kind, only in black. Buy it, unscrew the old one, screw on the new one.

Buying a different mfr's bridge and fitting it may involve re-drilling. If the strings pass over the bridge and then go through the body of the bass, those holes also may need re-drilling to match the bridge - this is much more tricky than just screwing a new bridge onto the face of the bass. You also need to take into account the string spread of the existing bridge, so the new one lines the strings up over the pick-up poles in the same way.

If the intricacies of this don't appeal, you could always try taking the bridge off and removing the saddles and saddle screws, springs whatever. Get the bridge plate, rub it down a bit and try painting it with hammerite black metal paint, then reassemble. If you really want to paint the saddles too, remove the adjustment screws and plug the holes so the paint doesn't get in there and clog the thread. Won't look brilliant, won't last long, but it will be black. (Try experimenting first on the face of the bridge that screws to the guitar so it looks really awful, no harm done.)

All in all, a fair bit of effort for cosmetics that probably only you will notice. But modding is fun, and you've got to start somewhere.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='345959' date='Dec 4 2008, 10:44 PM']Put the money towards buying a new bass with black hardware.[/quote]

+1

Modifying a guitar is only really worth doing if you're not planning to re-sell it. The modifications you make will only be worth their cost to you, any future owner is unlikely to care about them as much as you do.

Whilst to some extent I agree with those posts above.... changing bridges in the main is not rocket science or particularly difficult.

As long as you are competent with marking, drilling and if necassary plugging before drilling it is not a huge job. It kinda depends what your long term plans are for the Ibby? If are keeping it and want/ need more adjustment as well as a colour change then I'd say go for it. Putting say a Schaller or Hipshot on there will definately make an difference, but would it make a difference in proportion to the expenditure..... well that is purely subjective.

If you decide to go ahead and want more advice come back on and you will get it I'm sure. If necassary PM me.

I just had the bridge on the Spunkster changed to a Hipshot A style (thanks be to Prosebass).
To my ears there's no difference to the tone but the Bass does look better for it.Like The Burpster says,if you're confident with your measuring/drilling go ahead,if not get a pro to do the job for you. :)

cheers for the advice guys. The bass isnt really expensive, it is was my first bass but i really want to use it alot more. my main reason is for looks but if i can find an alternative option that seriously improves sustain. But the old girl has stonkin' sustain so im not bothered.

it all seems like sense to me what your saying. I have thought about contacting the ibanez parts site, and ive noticed the iceman basses have black bridges that would fit so im considering getting one of those.

you all might think im a total teewat for having these thoughts but im just fascinated with the idea of modding this bass but i dont have the minerals to do it. (imagine it with a yellow finish and black hardware - f*cking kick ass)

i totally appreciate all your comments.

if i posted this on say guitarworld.co.uk id probobally get the reply "your such a f*cking noob, twee boy" so im very grateful.

best upgrade for non-prestige or signature Ibanezes is probably pickups and getting someone handy with a soldering iron to tidy up the wiring and line the control cavity with copper foil.

I did the latterto a few fareast basses I used to own and it made a hell of a difference.

ok pick ups. any suggestions for what i could go for? and that would fit, ive measured the pups and i cant really find anything of the exact size. Is it safe to choose something i little smaller? it would obviously look strange.

The pups arent active either, its the eq is active. i have no clue how id get round that.