Why become a member? ×

PJ bass: isolating the P pickup for 'real' Precision sounds...

mcnach

I have a Maruszczyk Jake, in P/JJ configuration, passive, with VVT controls.

The JJ humbucker at the bridge can be coil-split, the switch is on the tone control (push/pull).

The Precision sound is not quite there, although it gets a lot closer when I split the JJ. I am thinking it could be nice to isolate the P for 'maximum Precision' on this bass.

At first I thought I would install a miniswitch to bypass the bridge pickup (pickup AND volume pot, of course).

But then I started thinking that maybe a VVT *plus* a pickup switch would be a good option too. I'm sure I've seen that wiring before.

What do you think would be the best option? A bypass seems like the simplest route to get the result I want: an easily selectable way to get just the precision pickup (with the usual V and T controls).

34 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I;ve got stack knobs on my PJ - so each pickup has V+T.

To be honest it's a faff.

I never balance the pickups - it's either all P, all J or both. So in hindsight a vol and tone and a 3 way selector would have been the easiest for me.

I'm not concerned with the balance (although I do want to keep the ability, so VVT is still in my mind), but about removing the bridge pickup and its volume potentiometer from the circuit, as it affects the sound of the P pickup even when fully turned down.

29 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

I'm not sure how they're wired, but would a pot with a switch work?  Click the J pot to  zero and it switches out that part of the circuit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOBLE-ALPS-250K-Ohm-B-Linear-Pot-with-On-Off-Switch-Potentiometer-NOS-Vol-Audio-/152148049914

hmmm... I have to look closely. If it can be used to bypass the pickup as well as remove itself from the circuit when set at 0... it could be useful, and no extra switches added to the front of the bass.

On 10/01/2019 at 15:44, mcnach said:

I have a Maruszczyk Jake, in P/JJ configuration, passive, with VVT controls.

The JJ humbucker at the bridge can be coil-split, the switch is on the tone control (push/pull).

The Precision sound is not quite there, although it gets a lot closer when I split the JJ. I am thinking it could be nice to isolate the P for 'maximum Precision' on this bass.

At first I thought I would install a miniswitch to bypass the bridge pickup (pickup AND volume pot, of course).

But then I started thinking that maybe a VVT *plus* a pickup switch would be a good option too. I'm sure I've seen that wiring before.

What do you think would be the best option? A bypass seems like the simplest route to get the result I want: an easily selectable way to get just the precision pickup (with the usual V and T controls).

I love the look of Maruszczyk Elwood & Jake basses! Never played or seen one in the flesh though - yet!

A guilty pleasure - I went on the build your own section of their website.

I either win the lottery, sell a kidney, or sell some basses to afford it :(

Elwood C.png

8 hours ago, Teebs said:

I love the look of Maruszczyk Elwood & Jake basses! Never played or seen one in the flesh though - yet!

A guilty pleasure - I went on the build your own section of their website.

I either win the lottery, sell a kidney, or sell some basses to afford it :(

Elwood C.png

That 'build your own' app is very very dangerous!!! :D

• Like 1

On 10/01/2019 at 15:57, jrixn1 said:

I'm not sure how they're wired, but would a pot with a switch work?  Click the J pot to  zero and it switches out that part of the circuit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOBLE-ALPS-250K-Ohm-B-Linear-Pot-with-On-Off-Switch-Potentiometer-NOS-Vol-Audio-/152148049914

Or perhaps a pull switch on the pot: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Push-Pull-Pot-Switch-For-Guitar-Coil-Tap-Pot-Potentiometer-A250k-B250k-A500-B500/271832420196

• Like 1