Why become a member? ×

General Bass Amp shape

ben_eat_pie

Hello there,
I am confused;

The current bass amp market are selling (within the 4 speaker range) cabs that are enourmusly wide and deep, and therefore back-breakingly hard to transport around.

I'm seeing a big trend in the DIY market offering cabs with better sound quality, and a lot less bulky size.

Could anybody inform me as to what the difference is, and why the manufacturers arn't mimicking the DIY market.

Thanks guys,

Ben

Ever heard of Markbass or Schroeder, just to name 2 examples?

The current trend is all about small size and light weight. If you cant find that on the manufacturers you are checking, Im sorry to say this but you are checking the wrong brands: Too big corporations without the capability to react to the market needs, aka dinosaurs.

[quote name='ben_eat_pie' post='346653' date='Dec 5 2008, 05:15 PM']true, but that hasn't answered the question... whats the difference in sound![/quote]

Internal volume will affect the low frequency response but it doesn't matter how you get that internal volume. The taller a cab the better you will hear the midrange and treble.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='346711' date='Dec 5 2008, 06:43 PM']Internal volume will affect the low frequency response but it doesn't matter how you get that internal volume. The taller a cab the better you will hear the midrange and treble.

Alex[/quote]

I know that that is what the numbers say, but to my ears, a deeper cabinet will always have more roundness to the tone.

[quote name='JPJ' post='348584' date='Dec 8 2008, 01:36 PM']I know that that is what the numbers say, but to my ears, a deeper cabinet will always have more roundness to the tone.[/quote]

If a cab has insufficient internal damping (which unfortunately is the case all too often!) then a deeper cab may have a better midrange response due to the backwave reflections being more attenuated.

Alex

[quote name='ben_eat_pie' post='344536' date='Dec 3 2008, 06:42 PM']Could anybody inform me as to what the difference is, and why the manufacturers arn't mimicking the DIY market.[/quote]

I think Bill Fitzmaurice put it dwn to a number of factors including (and I apologize if I'm misrepresenting here):

1. Commercial builders are driven by marketing needs which often means building muscular-looking cabs with lots of visible drivers (often in too small an enclosure) - i.e. form over function.

2. More complex designs which may offer greater efficiency and better response such as horn-loaded designs are far more complex to manufacture cheaply than a direct radiator design, i.e. a square box with holes in the front for the drivers.

• 3 months later...

[quote]I'll get some monies together, I've got the tools[/quote]

You'll need to factor in some time too.... I've had a collection of ply, drivers, tweeters, wire and hardware all ready to be turned into an Omni10 for almost 8 months now :)

[quote name='clauster' post='450659' date='Mar 31 2009, 04:38 PM']You'll need to factor in some time too.... I've had a collection of ply, drivers, tweeters, wire and hardware all ready to be turned into an Omni10 for almost 8 months now :D[/quote]
Only 8 months? Plenty of time yet! :rolleyes:
Took me a good couple of years to get round to this:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44673&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44673&hl=[/url]

from getting the maple to even [u]starting[/u] to dismantle. :)