Why become a member? ×

Ampeg old or new?

Dazed

If you had the choice - would you go with an old unknown history B15 or a PF20/PF50? I’ve read many reviews of both and still here I am asking for more opinions 😂 

My intended use is for home only so huge volumes aren’t a concern - can a B15 operate to its best at neighbour friendly volume? 

5 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

That would be an ecumenical matter.

image.png.ad54121fcc13c890f2298ffa92ac1ca1.png

Indeed :)

Re active basses, I'm not sure that a B-15 or similar would flatter them in the same way that they flatter a passive Precision with flats, although it would depend on what tone you're looking for. My old Pre-EB Ray with flats sounded amazing, but that's quite a retro core tone, not sure what a more contemporary voiced instrument would sound like. 

Re volume, I used to own the US Heritage B-15 and gigged it in quite large rooms several times. I sold it because frankly I'm an idiot. I now have the PF-50 which sits atop two vertically stacked Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 2x10s and, trust me, it's loud enough to gig. Even with one small cab (Ashdown 1x10) it's quite loud. So no, I'd say neither B-15 or PF-50 can work effectively to its best at neighbour-friendly volumes (although there is a pad option on the PF-50). If you're going for home use only, go for the PF-20, although I've also heard it's voiced more traditionally, so may not be what you're looking for. 

I have a vintage B15 for recording and couldn´t be happier with it. At some point I´m sure that I want to compare it to the new PF20/50 amps. But it´s a keeper anyway. The last amp I will sell.

I´ve recorded all types of basses through it, be it Precision, Jazz, Thunderbird, Stingray, Wal fretted and fretless, ... All of them sounded great. No issues from active electronics.

For live sessions I always wrap it in absorbers to have less bleed with other open mics. But it doesn´t need to be played loud for a great sound, anyway.

But unfortunately there´s quite a monetary difference between PF heads and B15s.

Edited by jensenmann

My main head has been the PF50-t since it came out (2015, I believe?). Hands down it is my favourite amp head for my needs. Loud enough but not too loud, substantive but not too heavy and personally I love the look. I've owned everything from a 1978 all tube Fender bassman to several Class D heads and this one just sounds right across all my bands / projects. 

The vintage stuff is great but if you are playing live a lot, modern stuff is going to require less maintenance and be less hard work. Recording wise you can record through just the PF50-t but I find running a Tech21 Sansamp VT gives me the best studio sound I have ever had.

1 minute ago, Cat Burrito said:

My main head has been the PF50-t since it came out (2015, I believe?). Hands down it is my favourite amp head for my needs. Loud enough but not too loud, substantive but not too heavy and personally I love the look. I've owned everything from a 1978 all tube Fender bassman to several Class D heads and this one just sounds right across all my bands / projects. 

The vintage stuff is great but if you are playing live a lot, modern stuff is going to require less maintenance and be less hard work. Recording wise you can record through just the PF50-t but I find running a Tech21 Sansamp VT gives me the best studio sound I have ever had.

What cabs are you using with your PF50-T for live work?

Just now, Linus27 said:

What cabs are you using with your PF50-T for live work?

I was varying between the PF115, the PF410 or both, with the theory that I had a good ten years before I needed to go more lightweight. My osteopath didn't share my optimism though so I now have an Aguilar DB112 that actually sounds really cool. The 2 cab Ampeg rig did look amazing though! 😎 

1 minute ago, Cat Burrito said:

I was varying between the PF115, the PF410 or both, with the theory that I had a good ten years before I needed to go more lightweight. My osteopath didn't share my optimism though so I now have an Aguilar DB112 that actually sounds really cool. The 2 cab Ampeg rig did look amazing though! 😎 

Thanks. I have been considering the Ampeg rigs as well. I love the vintage look.

I have to confess that, prior to managing to find another Walkabout, I did very seriously think about a PF-50 and PF115. I'd had the same cab and a PF500 before and had been very impressed with the sound.

My original plan was for the Blue Diamond Portaflex (having recorded through one) but they just weren't to be found anywhere.