Why become a member? ×

Bow suggestions / help

kevin_lindsay

Hi guys. 

I've owned a few double basses over the years, and also a Yamaha Silent Bass SL100. However, I always just played pizz on them. 

After about 5 years without an upright bass, I've just re-entered the realm by purchasing an NS Design CR5 upright. And, I am thinking of trying out a bow with it. 

I've no real experience with using a bow (I don't know how to even adjust one, or how to apply rosin!). As I've no idea about whether a German or French bow would be easiest to. Adjust to, can you guys suggest anything relatively affordable for me to look at? 

Thanks 

There are U.K. dealers selling relatively cheap bows online, or you can get them through Ebay from China. However I tried the China route and the bow was already bent on arrival. I did get my money back but I had to send the frog end only back to the dealer.! You may be able to hire a French and German bow from a bass shop but seeing where you are located, that may be difficult. Are there any orchestras you can contact to see if any bassist can help, with lessons or hands on advice? I’ve had a French bow for years and now believe I should try a German one. I seem to have problems holding the French bow so one day I might try a cheap German bow, maybe a cheap graphite type one. Good luck.

• Like 1

Hi Kevin

Like you I have played pizz for years. 'Messed' about with the bow--self taught.  Recently got serious about the bow. Decided to get more serious about the bow. Found a pro orchestral double bassest.  One of the best things I have ever done.  There is so much to learn about the bow. 'Opened my eyes'as they say about bowing--and about the bass.

My recommendation is to find a good classical orchestral player---well worth it.

• Like 1

Go French, simply because there are more of us using that type to offer advice!  I think they are easier too.

This will do fine.  There are cheaper "composite" bows, but I wouldn't go there.    https://www.bassbags.co.uk/product/double-bass-bow-french-pattern/

Well worth finding a classical bass player to give you a few starting tips.

Where are you based?

• Like 1

Kevin

i am in Stirling. Really struggled to find a teacher. The one that I have is ok but have read good things about a woman near George Sq. the Violin Shop near the Kelvin Hall has a decent stock of bows. I paid £200 for my carbon fibre bow but you can pay a lot less(and a lot more). I play German bow because there was a German bow with the bass that I bought...everyone I talk to plays french bow. Definitely get a teacher...you very quickly develop bad habits that you then have to unlearn. Not sure if a cellist would help or not, maybe others have a view on that?

• Like 1

A cellist can help with bowing ( but almost nothing else ).  I speak as a cellist who learned double bass by trial, error and simandl.  Bowing is the only thing that's much the same!

Ps: big fan of carbon bows, but mine was £800.  Best cheaper bows and very best bows ( regardless of expense ) still seem to be wooden.

Carbon has the advantage of being weatherproof, near indestructible and possibly less attractive to dogs ... my border collie puppy decided my cello bow was a nice stick; luckily Pernambuco is very hard and following a re-hair and re-varnish it survives with the addition of tooth marks.

I think that the main problem up here in the frozen ....ok drizzling..north is a lack of choice and face to face unbias info. I have been playing DB for around six years and only recently came across my teacher. He is an old fella and was a pro top orchestral player all around the country...it has been 50-60 years since he was a beginner and sometimes struggles to explain stuff. I am pleased that I met him though...I really am too old to load up the bass and travel 50 miles on a wet Tuesday night in winter to a half hour lesson. In a couple of years I may feel motivated to invest a wodge in a better bow but can’t justify that presently.