Why become a member? ×

Choral singing makes you better at bass

Fionn

I must say, the experience of being part of a choir has not only made be a better bass player, but a better musician all round.

I didn’t have any formal training in music. I started playing as a teenager, so moved and inspired by the early output of Jamiroquai/ Zender, that bass was the direction I took. 25 years later and no regrets. Bass is still my primary instrument, and the one I love above all. My musical tastes have remained very much rooted around that hemisphere of music too, but deeper, naturally.

However, a few years ago, by some bizarre accident of events, having had no previous singing experience and no involvement in traditional music, I found myself joining the local Gaelic Choir. It was a revelation, and there was no turning back.

There is something ethereal and electrifying about standing in the midst of 30 voices when you’re locked tightly into a complex arrangement of a big piece. Whether it’s sensitive and beautiful, or vigorous and bold, the emotive power of the situation is huge and unquestionable. There are strict technical requirements though, and these are what have made me the better musician. 

Firstly, I had to learn how to read music and, by default of the learning process, my sight-reading is ever improving.By absolute necessity I’ve developed a greater sense of subtlety, restraint, and discipline. A more refined sense of place and, as a result, the whole. My natural timing has improved, and the basic nature of choral singing has made me infinitely more harmonically conscious. Also, the specific process of learning, breaking down into tiny detail and reconstructing a few select pieces over many months, and the inherently complex nature of the arrangements have allowed me to understand music in a way I never would have otherwise... and it’s all transferable to bass.

Choir singing happened randomly, and out of the blue, but now that it’s part of my life I love it. I’m more of a musician than I ever was before, or ever would have been without it ... and I’m grateful for that.

Are there any other choristers here? If so, what benefits have you perceived? Tell me something of the kind of choir you’re in 🙂

My choral experience has been entirely in the (Scottish) Gaelic language, in both men’s and mixed choirs, in performance and competition, Scotland, and abroad. 

Edited by Fionn
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Fionn said:

...However, a few years ago, by some bizarre accident of events, having had no previous singing experience and no involvement in traditional music, I found myself joining the local Gaelic Choir...

And are you still seeing the lass..? :lol:

Our Daughter sings an an amateur choir of some 130 members. Last year's repertoire was a selection of Broadway hits, in historical order, which they performed at a unique occasion at the Mogador Theatre, Paris. Quite apart from knowing that Our Daughter was part of the troop, the whole show was uplifting and joyous, and well worth the 500Km round trip. There's a new show being prepared for next year; we'll be there to see it. B|

• Like 1

Good post, Fionn.

The short answer is yes. Maybe better bass but certainly better musician. At the age of ten I was packed off to boarding school wher I started in the Chichester cathedral choir. My dad was no fool because it meant I had a good education on a choral scholarship (50% discount). We rehearsed and sang at least one choral service six days a week with one day off. That day we would go on all sorts of expeditions, swimming in the sea in summer and crawling under the Goodwood motor circuit fencing. And we received a bloody good education.

But to get back to the music. Being immersed in that stuff you couldn’t fail  to have a good ear for all parts of the harmony and without trying I became an ace reader. A bit like learning to speak by hearing talk all round you. I left a fair bit before Leonard Bernstein came to conduct the premiere of the Chichester Psalms but we went to sing the hymns at the British Legion Festival of Remembrance. I can fairly claim that the first stage I performed on was at the Royal Albert Hall. To stand on that stage in the silence while all the poppies rained down was an emotional experience, even for a  twelve year old not long after the end of WW2.

Several of my contempories went on to glittering musical careers. I just play the double bass.

• Like 1

Some years ago i did evening classes with a small group so i could learn how to sing. It was 4 part harmony and there were a handful of us for bass. I learnt to sight read when i was young for other instruments and that helped with the singing although my sight reading for the bass is not good now. As a result of the classes i then joined the Dartington Choir for a few years and performed some great pieces in a large ensemble in a fantastic hall. It is a great feeling when a large group goes for it.

I used to sing in a choir with Bryn Terfel. I passed on a few tips to him. 

Other than that, singing 4 part harmony is entirely integral to anything else I have ever done musically. I started in chapel wanting to sing the lines my dad was singning. I did not have the correct "equipment" to reach those low notes at the time but it was the beginning of my lifelong love affair with the low frequencies. 

It nice to see that there are a few choir singers here, albeit with very different music to the Gaelic songs I’m familiar with.

Aye, it’s sublime, to be sure. I was singing tenor before, which was an almighty challenge. Just joined a new choir though, where I’ll be singing bass. Far more into my comfort zone, and more where I’m at in my soul. Looking forward to this. It will be interesting, given this bassist’s brain that I’ve developed over 25 years.

• Like 1