Why become a member? ×

Making a cloth grill for a cab

Jono Bolton

I've recently picked up a new cab that has an ugly black metal grill on it. Ideally I'd like to replace it with a  Fender/Ampeg-style cloth grill, however when measuring up my cab yesterday, the recess on the front is only 15mm deep, give or take. Given that I have to allow for fixings (Velcro or similar), and for the thickness of the material over the frame, both front and back, is this going to be too shallow to allow me to fit a cloth-and-frame grill?

3 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

You could consider stretching a dense weave cloth over the existing metal grille.

I did consider that, but I wasn't sure if it would work. The grill itself has a "raw" edge, for want of a better word. Other metal grills I've seen have a straight, flat edge, where as this one looks like it's been cut straight from a larger piece, so I'll need something to finish the edges to avoid ripping the cloth.

5 hours ago, songofthewind said:

Ah. What about wrapping the edges with gaffa, and then stretching the fabric over the edges. I think I remember doing something like this ages ago. Worked pretty good, but it needs to be neat.

I was thinking of something along the lines of these plastic poster clips:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002MXPKNA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Fwm4BbR7R3Q1B

2 hours ago, songofthewind said:

Does it have a length-ways slit? I can't tell from the pic.

How about those black plastic folder spines from WH Smith, that you use to hold a sheaf of papers together?? Do they still make them?

They do; they're the same thing as the folder spines, I just couldn't think of the name for them and that was the closest thing I could find on Google! I'm just not sure how I would go about attaching the material.

2 hours ago, songofthewind said:

Does it have a length-ways slit? I can't tell from the pic.

Yes it does. It's a continuous length of Grommet Strip, used to line holes in metalwork to protect wiring from chaffing like a Grommet. The beauty of it is you could do the whole grill in one piece and it would be virtually invisible.

Here is a different one that should show the slit better. This one is also self adhesive so much easier to apply.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/door-seals-brush-strips/1706169/

Edited by BassBunny
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

That edging strip looks good.

There's a guy on YouTube who shows how to use narrow velcro to attach speaker cloth to a baffle. I think that is a method you could adapt.

I didn't even think of Velcro :facepalm: I'll try and find the video and see what I can do.

On 05/11/2018 at 13:32, songofthewind said:

You could consider stretching a dense weave cloth over the existing metal grille.

That seems the best way forward to me if you don't like the metal grill look. I guess cloth also offers a bit more protection against drink spills etc.

If you don't have the grill or something else there then it seems a large area over which you'd need to keep the cloth taut.

I noticed that the top left speaker is different to the others - larger dustcap ?