Why become a member? ×

MTD Basses

agoulding

The Kingston Artist range don't come up for sale very often, probably because there aren't that many around in the UK in the first place.

I've had two of them myself; the single pick up version and the two pick up version, both 5 string models. They were excellent basses with extrememly comfortable necks and which were also nice and light too. Good value for money too as I paid about £200 each for them..

Both mine were bought s/h - on on Bassworld and one off Ebay. Definitely worth checking out if you can find one.. Oh, and the other thing that's cool is that, if you have any problems with them, you can email Mike Tobias about it and he emails you back with an answer himself, which is amazing! :)

[quote name='agoulding' post='343524' date='Dec 2 2008, 09:18 PM']coolio. cheers for the replies. i want one pretty bad.

ill keep a look out.

is there any similar alternatives in the same price range[/quote]
Not sure tbh as I don't know what price range you have in mind? Certainly for £200, which is what i paid for my MTD two years ago on Ebay, it was really good value...

I had a 5 String Kingston Heir which was awesome. J/MM pick-ups and after having a Bart pre-amp installed it was really sweet. Trouble is when I got "Marvin", it wasn't being used so it went to a new home.
Fabulous value for money.
They do come up now and again on e-Bay. Just kep an eye open.
Shame the £ has collapsed against the $ as Bass Central in USA do great deals on MTD.

I had a Kingston for a while which IIRC I got from German ebay. It's worth trying all the European ebays though as you definitely get different search results than from the UK site.

I think mine was about £180 and was by far...and I mean astronomically far, the best playing bass I have ever owned. It had an incredibly low action possibly helped by the zero fret. I sold it in the end because basically I just don't like humbuckers. However in retrospect I should have just modded it.

Good luck with the search.

Paul.

fairs. cheers for the replies. i had no idea the kingstons were that bloody cheap. im looking for the bass with the humbucker and single coil. i dont ive seen a better looking bass for that price.

is it worth ordering from sites in the US? do you not get hit by astronomical shipping charges?

edit: this is the exact one i want [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MTD-Michael-Tobias-Kingston-Heir-5-Strg-Bass-w-bag_W0QQitemZ110315593885QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item110315593885&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MTD-Michael-Tobi...p3286.m63.l1177[/url]

Edited by agoulding

[quote name='agoulding' post='346766' date='Dec 5 2008, 08:13 PM']fairs. cheers for the replies. i had no idea the kingstons were that bloody cheap. im looking for the bass with the humbucker and single coil. i dont ive seen a better looking bass for that price.

is it worth ordering from sites in the US? do you not get hit by astronomical shipping charges?

edit: this is the exact one i want [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MTD-Michael-Tobias-Kingston-Heir-5-Strg-Bass-w-bag_W0QQitemZ110315593885QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item110315593885&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MTD-Michael-Tobi...p3286.m63.l1177[/url][/quote]
It will cost you a lot to bring one in from the States as the exchange rate is not so favourable to us Brits anymore and you'll also have to pay high shipping costs and import taxes (including VAT) in order for it to get through our Customs.

Financially, you'll be much better off looking around European Ebay sites for a second hand one..

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='agoulding' post='341444' date='Nov 30 2008, 09:38 PM']where can i find these? i cant find dealers on the internet or anything and im probobally a hundred miles away from a shop that stock them!

knowing my luck im one of those who has a complete inability to use a search engine properly.

anyone know anything i could look at?[/quote]

You can buy them from the States on e-bay. Obviously you won't be able to try them first though.