Why become a member? ×

String grief

leroybasslines

Picked up my bass for a play earlier and with the very first note the E string broke. Immediately, the darkness descended as I realised I’ll have to change them. Am I the only person out there who feels genuine grief at losing a set of strings? I mean, we’ve been through so much together...it took so long to play them in...they were almost a part of me. And now I’ve got to raise a new set up from scratch. 😢

I suppose it depends on how much your strings cost and how much use you get out of them.

If it was a set of TI flats for a 6 string bass and I'd only used them for a few hours occasionally over the past while in the house then I would be on the verge of going postal as they are just under £100 for a set.

Fortunately I use D'addario EXLs and get about 3-4 months out of them with regular gigging. The last time I bought them they were £22 for 2 sets.

Having said all of that I honestly don't recall the last time I broke a string. It may have been when I was living at home which would be 1997ish and I changed the bridge on my Bass Collection SB465 as I kept breaking strings. I had to do it the old fashioned way and call the Bass Centre. None of this new fangled interweb at that time.

Ha! I used to beak loads as a lad when I used to hammer it, but it’s almost unheard of now. These had been on this particular bass for years - I tend to put them on, play them in and leave them there forever. The E string just went under the slightest of touches: it was its time. I just feel sad to be losing the set - they’re like old friends!

Changing old, worn out strings is like a religious experience for me...happens so rarely...knowing that the strings have earned their keep and that they're going to their grave having done their job...they should be awarded medals for their service to music.

Please be upstanding and doff your hats...