Why become a member? ×

Best Bass Distortion Pedal - EHX Bass Big Muff Reviewed

HughRichardson

At $89 is the best bass distortion pedal on the market the EHX bass big muff? In this video, I take you through three things you need to know before buying one

The first thing I love about this pedal is that it comes from a trusted brand which is used by big-name players. Seeing and hearing the big muff on records like "Hysteria" by Muse is a reassuring sign of its quality.

Second, there's a huge variety of sounds which can be made from the pedals three settings. A volume, tone and sustain dial. The volume dial is self-explanatory. The tone adjusts how bright the distortion is and the sustain can be used to add presence.

With these three dials, you can add some subtle crunch (low sustain and tone settings) all the way up to a face-melting overdrive sound which is tone

The EHX bass big muff pi is modelled on the old green big muff that many bass players used in the 90's. The reason the one was used to much is that it didn't remove all the low end from the signal when it added distortion. The big muff pi succeeds in doing the same. There's plenty of low so you'll still sound like a bass player but, if you want to retain some more of your basses natural sound, then you've got a few more options that this pedal gives you.

Below the tone dials, you'll see a switch with three settings. Bass boost, norm and dry. boost will boost the low frequencies, norm runs the pedal on default circuit but dry blends in your own dry bass signal with the distortion.

This is a massive bonus if you want a more "blended" tone which isn't all distortion. There's also a separate effect and dry outs on the side of the unit which give you further options when recording or for a more complex live setup.

Personally, I think this is the best bass distortion pedal you can buy right now. At $89 it's much cheaper than the mxr bass distortion pedal ($139) or the aftershock bass distortion ($149), it's made by a company that has great pedigree and history and it's very diverse in what it can do.

If you're looking for a fuzz pedal to add to your rig, for me, this is it.

But let me know what you think. Leave me a comment!

I forgot I owned one until it was returned from a (very) long term loan a few days ago. I recorded some tracks with it years ago and it got a cool sound. But, live, I just don't like it. It's already been advertised and sold. So I can't be too upset with it!