Why become a member? ×

Headphones recommendation

Bass Culture

Can anyone recommend a decent - low-cost (say, up to about £60) - pair of over ear headphones for bass practice and general use?  Preferably ones where the surface of the padding doesn't disintegrate within 2 or 3 years, unexpectedly leaving black 'paint' round my lugholes on one of the infrequent occasions I expect to use them.  I've seen AKG K92's on the GAK website for about £31.00 which look good but I'm pretty clueless really so would appreciate some real world advice.  Thanks.

You might like to try the Sony MDR-ZX100 - particularly as I believe you can now get them for less than £20. Mrs Mooseblaster passed a pair on to me and I was pleasantly surprised by them. Sufficiently surprised, in fact, that I looked up some online reviews, which included a few people saying they'd found them good enough for mixing - apparently the EQ is relatively flat compared to the horrific low end shelf on a lot of other well-regarded headphones.

if you can stretch your budget just a little, you can find a set of Sennheiser HD280s. I canot recomend these highly enough. Ive had mine for nearly 10 years, and in that time, although they have been treated pretty badly, they still sound/look fantastic. They are easy to wear for long periods, as they kind of give your head a little hug :)

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

if you can stretch your budget just a little, you can find a set of Sennheiser HD280s. I canot recomend these highly enough. Ive had mine for nearly 10 years, and in that time, although they have been treated pretty badly, they still sound/look fantastic. They are easy to wear for long periods, as they kind of give your head a little hug :)

I've got some of those, the headband is held together with gaffa tape now, brilliant headphones for me, I've got big ears and they fit nicely round them without pressing them into my head so really comfy, and a relatively neutral sound, when the gaffa tape gives up I'll buy another pair