Why become a member? ×

What Musicman should I get?

mash13229

21 hours ago, LITTLEWING said:

I imagine I might have changed my mind if I had an active 'Ray and got an incredible sound but I'm just saying take a look at how many people USED to play one and moved on to other fine marques. Apart from the one or two mentioned, I haven't seen one being played on telly or live for ages. There must be a reason. Flea only used one because he once got them for free and The Chillies wouldn't be the same without that growl. Bernard Edwards started with one but moved on, John Deacon had one but moved on. Gail Ann Dorsey made Bowie's band sound phenomenal but then slipped into a Jazz. 

They really are great basses and sound brilliant but dare I say they somehow get a tad boring. Bit like a Telecaster guitar. Great, but they only do the one thing.

Just sayin'.

Stingray and Telecaster only do one thing? :D !!!!!!!!!!

sure thing... love it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Stingray and Telecaster only do one thing? :D !!!!!!!!!!

sure thing... love it!

My Stingray only does one thing.  I tried it as a toaster, a car jack, a ladder, a cheese slicer and a hammer... but it was totally useless so now I only use it to play bass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

After having lots of 4H Stingrays (both 2 and 3 band) I’m loving the versatility of my 4HH Sterling.  Built as well as any of the MM basses I’ve had and it sounds great. The only downside is that I think I may now want to discover the  joys of a HH Stingray 😁.

The below from the MM website pretty much sums up the main differences between the ‘Ray and the Sterling.

http://blog.music-man.com/instruments/stingray-bass-vs-sterling-bass-comparison/

Edited by Deedee

On 20/08/2018 at 22:09, LITTLEWING said:

Gail Ann Dorsey made Bowie's band sound phenomenal but then slipped into a Jazz. 

She said that Lenny Kravitz 'insisted' that she played his vintage Jazz. She would have preferred to have taken her Stingray on tour with her, if given the choice.

edit: Duh....I see this has already been mentioned.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1