Why become a member? ×

JV Squier Precision bass ID

Roger2611

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm my thoughts please:

All 57 JV Squires with a two tone sunburst finish would originally have had the maple boarded neck

All 62 JV Squires with a three tone sunburst finish would originally have had a rosewood boarded neck.

I have been offered a three tone sunburst with a maple boarded neck, the seller and I agree that both neck and body are genuine JV parts but I an not sure they were originally on the same bass

Your observations please ladies and gents?

1 hour ago, Roger2611 said:

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm my thoughts please:

All 57 JV Squires with a two tone sunburst finish would originally have had the maple boarded neck

All 62 JV Squires with a three tone sunburst finish would originally have had a rosewood boarded neck.

I have been offered a three tone sunburst with a maple boarded neck, the seller and I agree that both neck and body are genuine JV parts but I an not sure they were originally on the same bass

Your observations please ladies and gents?

I would say all your thoughts are bang on - 57 with maple / 62 with rosewood etc. Maybe someone with both decided to swap them over or something?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

My 57 has a maple board. It's not the Fender logo though. I thought all the 57's had maple boards?

Yup, they do. It wouldn't be a 57 style model if it had the rosewood board - Fender didn't introduce these until 1959, with the maple option only becoming available again in the late 60's. IIRC.

To answer the OP, I am pretty sure the bass you have been offered has been put together from period correct components. I have never heard of a maple neck '62 jv reissue.

Interesting question from musicbassman. A quick check on the 21frets website shows JV03197, a large Fender-logo rosewood fretboard Precision bass.

They are out there, but I did have to check, and I do remember seeing large Fender-logo versions of all the other guitar and bass types, so perhaps the '62 Precision large Fender-logo version is less common. Certainly, I have the large logo 62 Jazz (JV08875) have had the large logo 62 strat (serial number within 50 of the Jazz bass and identical wood) and seen numerous 57 strat and precisions with the large Fender logo.

• Like 2