Why become a member? ×

Blue Man group et al

TheGreek

Anybody know where I can find instructions on the lengths of pipe needed to build the Pipe instruments used by the Blue Man group and others? We're looking to build something similar at the Drug & Alcohol project I'm volunteering at...

Something like this?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8wAKeesf_poUFFMcFlkSGlpcTA/view

The pitches that the pipes produce are directly related to their wavelengths, so you could make the activity of making one (or several smaller) of these instruments a creative and practical activity from start to finish rather than following instructions. If you are using push together pipe fittings (I assume that PVC pipeweld solvent is something you would want to actively avoid) you can tweak the lengths a bit anyway and experiment with connecting together different lengths of pipe in a non destructive manner.

If you want to involve multiple people in making music as a group activity, are you aware of the extistence of boomwhackers?

There's a formula relating length of pipe, frequency of sound and speed of sound and harmonic required.  (Speed of wave = frequency times wavelength in consistent units for fundamental).  

This page gives you a link to instructions on how to build one!  https://drumsoul.wordpress.com/2016/12/28/how-to-build-a-blue-man-group-pvc-tubulum-cigar-box-nation/

I love the Blue Man Group, would love to see them live.

Edited by TorturedSaints
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Anybody know where I can find instructions on the lengths of pipe needed to build the Pipe instruments used by the Blue Man group and others? We're looking to build something similar at the Drug & Alcohol project I'm volunteering at...

The pdf looks like a great starting point.  Wouldn't part of the project involve a degree of trial and error?

17 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Can Blue Men sing the Whites (or are they hypocrites)?🙄

Edited by SpondonBassed

18 hours ago, TorturedSaints said:

There's a formula relating length of pipe, frequency of sound and speed of sound and harmonic required.  (Speed of wave = frequency times wavelength in consistent units for fundamental).  

This page gives you a link to instructions on how to build one!  https://drumsoul.wordpress.com/2016/12/28/how-to-build-a-blue-man-group-pvc-tubulum-cigar-box-nation/

I love the Blue Man Group, would love to see them live.

Just what I was looking for...many thanks.

• Like 1