Why become a member? ×

Learning keys / midi question

Bobthedog

I use a Scarlett 2i4 (gen 2) into Logic Pro X and am thinking of learning to play basic keys for some home fun. I quite fancy a midi Novation Impulse 49 as a starter and perhaps in the future do some more complicated stuff. The reviews I see seem to suggest that this is a great controller for Ableton Live. Does anyone know if it is as good with Logic Pro X (I am at a very basic stage of home recording)? Will it need some sort of programming to map Logic?  

Finally, does learning keys have a positive impact on extending musical ability with bass (I am sure i have read that somewhere).

Hey,

Si from Novation here.

The Launchkeys are optimised for Ableton, but will work perfectly well with almost any DAW using the InControl mode. Here’s some resources from our website:

DAW setup guide: https://d2xhy469pqj8rc.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/novation/downloads/10606/launchkey-mk2-daw-setup-guide.pdf

Manual (page 10 talks about InControl mode): https://d2xhy469pqj8rc.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/novation/downloads/10577/launchkey-mk2-ug-en_0.pdf

If you need any further technical advice, feel free to contact our UK based technical & customer support who can talk you through any further setup questions you might have: +44 1494 462246

And absolutely, learning piano will only ever help you understand music in a deeper way, having a positive effect on your bass playing, certainly did for me. Can’t go wrong :).

Just remember that the Launchkeys are USB only, so if you want to use one at the same time as your Scarlett, you’ll need to ensure you have two spare USB ports :)

Si // Novation Media Relations

Edited by Sibob

Sibob, many thanks for this. I have actually just  received an Impulse 49 but cannot for the life of me get it to work with my iMac on High Sierra with Logic Pro X. It is not clear at all which version of Automap to use and when I did pick one, there was no instruction to say I needed to download a driver too. 

I will call support but must confess so far it has been very frustrating so far. All I have been able to do is update the firmware on the Impulse. 

23 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

Sibob, many thanks for this. I have actually just  received an Impulse 49 but cannot for the life of me get it to work with my iMac on High Sierra with Logic Pro X. It is not clear at all which version of Automap to use and when I did pick one, there was no instruction to say I needed to download a driver too. 

I will call support but must confess so far it has been very frustrating so far. All I have been able to do is update the firmware on the Impulse. 

Hi,

So both Impulse and Automap is confirmed as working with High Sierra: https://support.novationmusic.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115005077329--Are-Novation-products-compatible-with-macOS-10-13-High-Sierra-

So I suspect it’s just a setup issue, sorry you’ve had a tough time so far. Did you purchase the Impulse new? If so, there should have been documentation on how to set it up within the box.

Please do call Tech Support tomorrow (or when you can, 9:30am-6pm Mon-Fri), I’m certain they’ll have you set up in no time at all!

Si

15 hours ago, Sibob said:

Hi,

So both Impulse and Automap is confirmed as working with High Sierra: https://support.novationmusic.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115005077329--Are-Novation-products-compatible-with-macOS-10-13-High-Sierra-

So I suspect it’s just a setup issue, sorry you’ve had a tough time so far. Did you purchase the Impulse new? If so, there should have been documentation on how to set it up within the box.

Please do call Tech Support tomorrow (or when you can, 9:30am-6pm Mon-Fri), I’m certain they’ll have you set up in no time at all!

Si

Will do. I do believe it is me doing something wrong, I just cannot work out what.

The unit is brand new but when went to the registration and set up process as described on the card, the only offered software was a free Gand Piano plug in. I had to manually search for Automap etc.

Sibob,

I finally got it to all work last night. I am happy to say, it was through no fault of the Novation kit or software but a fault of an incompotant operator of Logic Pro X (i.e me!).

Thanks for the support and now is all good (or at least it will once I learn to play keys)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

Sibob,

I finally got it to all work last night. I am happy to say, it was through no fault of the Novation kit or software but a fault of an incompotant operator of Logic Pro X (i.e me!).

Thanks for the support and now is all good (or at least it will once I learn to play keys)

Excellent news! Glad you're up and working, and definitely explore the XLN Addictive Keys plugin you get free with the Impulse (can download it from within your Novation account).
The Logic Pianos are cool, but the Addictive piano (you get to choose one of four) are really good!

Si

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:49, Bobthedog said:

Sibob,

sounds awefully like the " incompetent Reaper via PC user " virus that I caught :) coincindentally, Si helped me greatly with that 

37 minutes ago, JimBobTTD said:

Can you play piano/other with the Impulse without connecting it to anything? Or is it only a MIDI controller?

It's 'only' a MIDI controller, so no on-board sounds, nor headphone out. Connection to 'anything' is required to hear anything more than the keys being pressed (and they're quiet...).

1 hour ago, JimBobTTD said:

...a keyboard that doubles as a midi controller...

Does this come close to fitting the bill..?

Yamaha MM8 ...

There's also, in similar fashion, the ...

Novation X-station ...

They won't have the DAW control stuff, like transport keys, but can pilot any Vst's for recording, and have on-board sounds, too.

Edited by Dad3353