Why become a member? ×

Why no love for Laney?

Jonny Boots

Never bought any Laney gear, but a good mate in a band whom we shared a rehearsal room with back in the day had a DP300 stack - 15 and 10s? I forget. What I do remember is he offered to leave his stack in the rooms and let me use it, so I didn't have to hump my Ampeg stack around (and some folk wonder why those of us of a certain vintage are weight-obsessed? 😃) . I used it for a couple of rehearsals, but it never delivered any heft*, so I ended up bringing my own stack...and an SVT stack was not humped around to twice-weekly rehearsals lightly (SWIDT?), so you can gauge how little I thought of the Laney.

On the other hand, I was near enough to the front of a BCC gig to be able to hear Glenn Hughes' Laney (a Nexus Tube? It was all lit up and blue, anyway) a couple of years ago, and that was lovely. I believe he has roadies, tho... 😃

* And this was in the days before The Great Heft Hoohah... 

2 hours ago, bazzbass said:

the truth can be harsh :)

That is my opinion and I will buy Bergantino,Fender, Markbass , GK,Ampeg, Hartke, Trace Elliot, TC, Marshall, Aguilar, Darkglass  before I even look at a Laney. If it makes you feel better I'll add it to the bottom of my list, after EA, Orange,Vox, Roland,MusicMan,. and BEFORE Behringer :)

Time moves on.  Certainly, I'd never buy Laney gear again as my long journey to tone heaven is now complete.  However, Laney was part of that trip; maybe I just got a good one.

23 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Time moves on.  Certainly, I'd never buy Laney gear again as my long journey to tone heaven is now complete.  However, Laney was part of that trip; maybe I just got a good one.

I reckon WHEN you try a Laney would make a big difference as to how you rated it. Early on in your career and it would sound great, loud, louder than your Coronet 30w bass amp , (my first). My second amp was an old PA head so I was not averse to crap gear early on lol.

If you were to try one now, not so good, but then again they may have upped their game. First impressions do stick though :)

On 04/08/2018 at 08:49, SpondonBassed said:

During the meanwhilst;

Where does "Richter" fit in with Laney?  Is Richter just the model name or is it a distinct entity?  I suppose the R and B in the RBseries denotes Richter Bass.

"Richter" is to Laney as "Rumble" is to Fender - it's the name for one of their more enduring bass amp series. "RB" is indeed "Richter Bass", and they cover everything from tiny practise combos (RB1) to a high-powered head (RB9).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

"Richter" is to Laney as "Rumble" is to Fender - it's the name for one of their more enduring bass amp series. "RB" is indeed "Richter Bass", and they cover everything from tiny practise combos (RB1) to a high-powered head (RB9).

Thanks for confirming that.  It was as if Laney were rebranding a Richter unit if you look at the label sideways.

I shall be releasing a new line of amplifiers under the Grumble brand name very soon.  Just because.

When's the next moose hunting season start?

Anyone got much experience with the Nexus SL? Looks like a good head with a ton of power.

I haven't really connected with the Mesa Subway D-800 I bought a while back and this looks like a good, more substantial alternative.