Why become a member? ×

New Rig Or Not?

SuperSeagull

Forgot to mention I sometimes use an Eden EX112 with my CMD 121P, it stacks nicely (same footprint). At 300W at 8 ohms it is a punchy little cab. OK It is clearly not in same league as MB n all, but is half the price and a pretty good cab for just under £200. Might be worth a try out before you spend double on MB or quadruple on Barefaced, Vanderkley, Bergs, Mesa etc Cheers

• Like 1

On Saturday, July 21, 2018 at 17:05, Al Krow said:

The BF SM and it's bigger brother, the BB2, output 97dB according to the BF website; whereas my VK 210 and the BF SuperTwin are both rated at 100 dB (which is theoretically twice as as loud as 97 dB, if I remember correctly). So I guess you'd need to end up getting two 1x12s to broadly match my 210 or a 212, and if you're talking about BF you are definitely starting to get £spendy!

Those numbers (97/100dB) are sensitivity figures. Not output - max. SPL.

They don't tell you how much juice you can feed it, before it runs out of excursion and farts out.

• Like 1

Thanks for all who contributed to my thought process. I picked up a s/h NY121 last night in virtually new condition. First impressions are really good. Thanks to @Sparky Mark for spotting the cab for sale on Gumtree. The guy who was selling it had bought it to go with his 1x12 combo but found he never really needed it - ironic or what!

• Like 1

Great result and well done to you (and to @Sparky Mark for being a great BC'er in going the extra mile). Btw is Sparky Mark actually an abbreviation for Sparky Markbass?! 😂

@Cuzzie I trust that your threat to withhold all future advice if he didn't get a Supertwin was merely Barefaced cheek?

One obligatory follow up and one request from me:

- nice to get a pic of your new rig to round off this thread :) 

- request: if you get a chance when you're with your full band please see if you can record a couple of tracks i) with just your existing combo and ii) with the extension cab - it would be really interesting to 'hear' the difference.

...oooh Mr Postman has just arrived with a used Bananana Matryoshka for meHmmm, that could scupper getting work done today :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Great result and well done to you (and to @Sparky Mark for being a great BC'er in going the extra mile). Btw is Sparky Mark actually an abbreviation for Sparky Markbass?! 😂

@Cuzzie I trust that your threat to withhold all future advice if he didn't get a Supertwin was merely Barefaced cheek?

One obligatory follow up and one request from me:

- nice to get a pic of your new rig to round off this thread :) 

- request: if you get a chance when you're with your full band please see if you can record a couple of tracks i) with just your existing combo and ii) with the extension cab - it would be really interesting to 'hear' the difference.

...oooh Mr Postman has just arrived with a used Bananana Matryoshka for meHmmm, that could scupper getting work done today :) 

Here you go. Complete with my favourite bass. Best bit about the cab is the level control for the tweeter, I can turn it off! And will do my best to get that recording sorted. 

930B3618-E95F-41C1-89B8-430FBF5162F5.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I finally got to use the second cab in anger for the first time today, it’s been a very quiet summer. Was a small pub gig so wasn’t sure if it was worth taking it but I’m glad I did. More depth, more punch, more clarity - really pleased I went for this option. Plus I was able to fit the whole rig, two basses, pedalboard and a few other bits in pieces in a Mazda RX8 with room for a passenger. 

• Like 1