Why become a member? ×

Small combo with power amp question

bassituation

Hi, wondering if you can help plug a knowledge gap for me. I have a small Fender Frontman 25B that I use for practice (see attached). I quite like the tone and notice it has a 'power amp in' and 'pre amp out' on it. I don't know a lot about power amps or connecting them, but could I feasibly buy a power amp and use it to power this combo to a greater level? Any gotchas? If you could say which input I need to use that would also be useful. Thanks.

Capture.JPG

There's nothing you can do to make the standalone combo louder than it currently is.

The 'power amp in' socket is a direct input for the combo's power amp section, for connecting a separate preamp to the amp, which I'd think will disable the connection from the combo's internal preamp.

If you like the sound of the amp and want it to be louder, you can connect the 'preamp out' to a separate louder power amp.  That power amp will then need it's own speakers.

Hope this helps.

Poweramp in, bypasses the preamp so you can use a different preamp than the one on the combo.

Preamp out is for using a separate poweramp plus speaker with the preamp of your combo.

Oops obviously I need to speed up my typing.

Edited by MGB

have you got another speaker cabinet to run a power amp into? if you try and connect a stand alone power amp (which will be at least 100W and most likely considerably higher) into the combo's speaker than you have a very high risk of blowing it into small bits as it is likely only rated to about 40w maximum (it might have a power rating marked somewhere on the magnet)

Matt

3 hours ago, bassituation said:

could I feasibly buy a power amp and use it to power this combo to a greater level?

56 minutes ago, bassituation said:

Yeah, I have plenty of cabs, 

Do you own something which powers those cabs?  I wondered if you could use that, which you already own, instead of buying a power amp.

• Like 1