Why become a member? ×

SWR Redhead v SWR Super Redhead

Gunsfreddy2003

Evening all,

Can anyone advise if there really is any noticeable difference in tone between the SWR Redhead and the Super Redhead?

I'm keen to learn more about these amps and what sound you can get from them. If anyone has an experience of pre/post Fender difference in tone it would also be good to hear.

Thanks

I owned a Redhead for ten years or more but played Warwicks and Spectors through it.The tone was fabulous though I found zeroing in on the sound I wanted tricky - too much choice? Anyway the real problem was with the power. It really didn't make its presence felt in anything but the smallest gigs(remember it's only 200watts into 4Ohms). Eventually it blew up at a gig and I moved onto Markbass(which was less than half the price of the Redhead). I was under the impression that the Super Redhead was designed with its forerunner's lack of volume in mind. I know nothing of the difference in tone but don't see the point in having a great sound if no one can hear it. 

Apart from the super redhead having more power, it also featured new 10 inch drivers ( eminence )

these apparently handled the low B better than the previous model.....all according to the review in

bass player magazine.

Wow, this is not a discussion I would expect in 2018 :)

I used to own both.

V1 is 240w with Internal speakers, the V2  higher (350 or 400), and indeed both had different speakers. I always preferred the tone of the V1, but it would not handle 5 string overly well. The V2 did a better job (for a 210), but I found the tone to have less character.

V1 in my eyes was one of the best 210 combos ever, but underpowered in a big band. V2 did better volume wise (especially with an extension cab :)....) but SWR had already been impacted by Fender decisions which resulted in a very good amp, not a great amp.

For me the early to late 90’s were SWR’s golden years, the Red Head, Red Face, Silverado, Studio 220 period.

• Like 1

Agreed. Mine blew up about six years ago. I knew almost nothing about amps then and took the advice of a shop in Germany who sold it to me with an extension cab that was a bad match. Thing was as heavy as the car I drove it around in! Gigging with it was a nightmare. Got dispondant about the whole thing. Amp cost a fortune and no one could hear me. Left it five years before I saw anything I'd trust. Markbass K1 with a 102p extension cab. Frustrations gone.

Thanks guys - some interesting thoughts here. I only play 5 string so beginning to think that the pre Fender or V 1 might not be for me. Weight is not an issue as it will probably be for home use only.

I have 5 SWR cabs at the moment and love them when paired with my EBS HD350 buy really keen to see what the SWR amps and cabs together are like.

Can appreciate that the Class D stuff is lighter buy yet to find one that gives me that tone that I am looking for - even the new Mark Bass Marcus stuff sounds bad!

20 hours ago, HazBeen said:

Wow, this is not a discussion I would expect in 2018 :)

I used to own both.

V1 is 240w with Internal speakers, the V2  higher (350 or 400), and indeed both had different speakers. I always preferred the tone of the V1, but it would not handle 5 string overly well. The V2 did a better job (for a 210), but I found the tone to have less character.

V1 in my eyes was one of the best 210 combos ever, but underpowered in a big band. V2 did better volume wise (especially with an extension cab :)....) but SWR had already been impacted by Fender decisions which resulted in a very good amp, not a great amp.

For me the early to late 90’s were SWR’s golden years, the Red Head, Red Face, Silverado, Studio 220 period.

Was the SWR Red Face basically the amp from the Red Head combo on its own?

Would that get you into the realms of the classic “Marcus” sound?

4 hours ago, BassBod said:

Look for a Stereo 800 power amp, (two Redhead power amps in one case) and pair it with any small SWR amp (Bass350 Studio220 etc).  Gives you the sound, power and flexibility 

C18D07C6-EFA8-42FF-8C0A-91D91B3EBCCA.jpeg

FBD1FF7F-D039-4F91-832F-B0330E3574CE.jpeg

23 hours ago, BassBod said:

Absolutely - somewhere I’ve a DVD of him using this Basic 350/ST800 setup into a pair of Goliath II’s.  Mind you, any good Jazz bass into a Sadowsky preamp does the MM sound for me..no amp needed 😜

Yep, had a 74 Jazz bass and one of those pedals and sounded great - only down side was that I needed 5 strings!

• Like 1