Why become a member? ×

Paid to play

William James Easton

[quote name='Rusty Shackleford' post='337581' date='Nov 26 2008, 07:00 PM']so i've had a really bad day at work today so i was hoping to get home crank up my bass and trash out some rocking lines, however headache and a case of the can't be ar$£ds stopped me. Anyhoo got me thinking how cool it would be if i had to stuck to my youthful ideas and become a pro player.
So how many bass chatters play bass for a living? i will accept musician in band, teacher, bass tech, session player maybe even bass/amp maker etc.
And i mean as there full time job, not weekend warriors or function "top up me wages' players.

come on some one amaze me with your cool bass job please.[/quote]
Here is the shock...The weekend warriors and Function "Top me up..." Players are making the most money out of all...Ok they aint the Rolling Stones,but those record deals just dont exist anymore,the industrys too damn smart,thats why they sh*t themselves over file shareing websites,they didnt have control..its coming round though and they will have the hold again in a few years...deals are being cut,prosecutions being filed,site being shut down.

Its not a sour ARGH...Its not a Bitter 'why aint I famous' ARGH...its the horrid truth,and Ive seen both sides of it,you may think the £50 on a saturday night is a pile of sh*te and you are really fed up of hearing the same old same old,but its a plain no-frills fact,given the pubs are closing,cash is thin and people are getting ripped off left right and center (landlords,labels,venues)...Believe me its the best you are going to get right now,and if you really dont like it ,STOP DOING IT and let some other have a go.

Fascinating (if rather depressing) thread.

I would hate, really HATE, being a pro musician. It would mean taking the single activity that gives me the most pleasure and the biggest buzz - and yes, I thought very carefully before I wrote that :brow: - and turning it into a chore, something that I had to do regardless of whether or not I felt like it.

Where I work there are plenty of people who would describe me as "cynical" (mainly because like most people they have no idea what that word actually means) but I am routinely staggered at just how cynical those in the music biz seem to be.

One area where I can easily agree with ARGH is that us Weekend Warriors probably get the best deal: A steady job, play when we want to, each gig an exciting adventure (a grand day out, Gromit), and gosh aren't I cool? :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='337757' date='Nov 26 2008, 09:56 PM']Just to clarify a little... Yes, I work VERY hard. Usually 80 hours per week or more, but I am very happy :) We all think the grass is greener on the other side & a nice big salary and good hours would be nice, but the truth is I work as hard as I do in the so-called "music business" because I love it. Given a choice I wouldn't do anything else :huh:

Rich.[/quote]
I just hope to f*** you keep healthy and well Rich,given that amount of hours,you deserve the money you get and the work you put in...And I hope your pension is full salary too

LOL! I usually have one week of serious flu & chest infection a year. That's this week, actually! I've been off work since Monday, but really need to be at school tomorrow & have a rehearsal tomorrow evening.

There's no pension, nope. But then again pensions are worthless these days. I opted out of the local council one as it would've been worth less than I paid in by the time I got to it, LOL!

Rich.

Argh's honest about it.

Unless you really hit the big time as part of a successful band with a contract, which being honest, IS the dream that most muso's have, it's a difficult life.

Even with a contract you're not always gonna have lots of money, I think it was Biffy Clyro (or a similar English band) who up until only a couple of years ago, had band members working in a chippy, while at they same time they were playing Reading/Leeds/Glasto et al with heavy Radio coverage and an album fairly high in the charts.

S'not all roses.

Besides, after being out on in my home town with a fairly popular English band a number of times, I don't think I'd like the interruptions to my privacy which is a requirement of being that popular (and therefore earning the money).

[quote name='ARGH' post='337747' date='Nov 26 2008, 09:48 PM']Bullshit,you cant substantiate your point so you call me a liar..f*** you...[/quote]

..Ok then :)

Name a time and place... Just to clarify, who is the big spoon? Judging by your course language and tone I am expecting a sore weekend!

[quote name='ped' post='337783' date='Nov 26 2008, 10:15 PM']..Ok then :)

Name a time and place... Just to clarify, who is the big spoon?[/quote]
Intake club Mansfield,This Friday,Im in the black Kilt onstage.....Pay the fiver and leave yer teeth

If you wanna cockmeasure musical "I know who's" or "Im more pro than you" then all the 2-3k boutique basses aint gonna help you Ped.

You know shitall about anything on this subject,namedropping,its labels..s'all it is....You make your meat and veg onstage,grinding it out,all else is bullshit.

Edited by ARGH

I've made a living from playing bass for over 20 yrs, I do teach (very few private students now though) but who wouldn't when there are no gigs on a monday morning. I have a mortgage, 3 kids, an annual holiday etc etc. I am never skint.
I don't earn a fortune but both me and the misses are musicians (she was at home for 10 yrs with the kids though I was sole breadwinner) and we do fine.
I regularly get paid over £250 a gig and I do sessions and lots of functions. I usually have 150 plus gigs a year. and I've never been out of work.
Aargh I know it may look like it doesn't work for you, maybe you have an attitude that makes you a less desirable proposition than musicians that do make money..
I have a diary full of colleagues just like me, ranging from skint to wealthy...
It is not only how you see it mate so please don't call me a liar by proxy ok.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='337797' date='Nov 26 2008, 10:25 PM'], maybe you have an attitude that makes you a less desirable proposition than musicians that do make money..[/quote]

+1 (at least based on the posts in this topic....)

Edited by 3V17C

Ped, I was getting the impression you're writing "library" music for radio/tv, etc. Is this correct? If so, keep at it. A friend of mine has been writing it for some years now & has a contract with Chappel music & Sony BMG. He's getting about £20k every quarter in royalties now!

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='Prosebass' post='337748' date='Nov 26 2008, 09:48 PM']If I sold virtually everything I own , had a go at prostitution, became self sufficient food wise with a sideline in Olive Oil when I've moved to rural Portugal and found a property for £50,000 then I just may, make a living out of making basses.
It is really enjoyable and unlike a 9am-5pm job I love every minute of my 9am till midnight profession for virtually bugger all profit....
The big difference is I have got to the age where its all "been there done that" so I have found I spend nothing so need to earn very little....and yes Mrs Prosebass has a job, if she didn't we would live in a shed....[/quote]

So true (oh and she thinks [i]you[/i] do live in the shed :) )

Q: How do you make sure a luthier has £1 million by the time he is 30?
A: Give him £2 million when he's 29

[quote name='jakesbass' post='337797' date='Nov 26 2008, 10:25 PM']I've made a living from playing bass for over 20 yrs, I do teach (very few private students now though) but who wouldn't when there are no gigs on a monday morning. I have a mortgage, 3 kids, an annual holiday etc etc. I am never skint.
I don't earn a fortune but both me and the misses are musicians and we do fine.
I regularly get paid over £250 a gig and I do sessions and lots of functions. I usually have 150 plus gigs a year. and I've never been out of work.
Aargh I know it may look like it doesn't work for you, maybe you have an attitude that makes you a less desirable proposition than musicians that do make money..
I have a diary full of colleagues just like me, ranging from skint to wealthy...
It is not only how you see it mate so please don't call me a liar by proxy ok.[/quote]
Nope,never said it didnt work for me,It just was a massive strain on one person to sustain over a loooong period of time (maybe if I didnt live in a posh part of the UK,or had a morgage),me and an ex both did gigs,lessons,ran open mic's...but it isnt playing alone..its multitasking,and if you both do it,then you both understand the ebb and flow,some days its quids in,I dont think you need to be told about the other days,but hey you roll with it.

I was on the cusp of the £100-£200 a gig shot till the drummer blew us out and the band folded (Yes Adrenochrome thats when the bough broke),which would have been a cruise for Xmas....Im just glad Ive been offered a higher position at work,its harder work,but its compensation..Lord giveth ,lord taketh away....

[quote name='ARGH' post='337819' date='Nov 26 2008, 10:33 PM']Nope,never said it didnt work for me,It just was a massive strain on one person to sustain over a loooong period of time (maybe if I didnt live in a posh part of the UK,or had a morgage),me and an ex both did gigs,lessons,ran open mic's...but it isnt playing alone..its multitasking,and if you both do it,then you both understand the ebb and flow,some days its quids in,I dont think you need to be told about the other days,but hey you roll with it.

I was on the cusp of the £100-£200 a gig shot till the drummer blew us out and the band folded (Yes Adrenochrome thats when the bough broke),which would have been a cruise for Xmas....Im just glad Ive been offered a higher position at work,its harder work,but its compensation..Lord giveth ,lord taketh away....[/quote]
So ok that sounds more reasonable and I wouldn't seek to denigrate your position or outlook, it's just in the first few posts you were sort of telling me that I didn't exist so I felt compelled to say "well I do.... look here I am"

And I live in the South East, house prices etc

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='337797' date='Nov 26 2008, 10:25 PM']I've made a living from playing bass for over 20 yrs, I do teach (very few private students now though) but who wouldn't when there are no gigs on a monday morning. I have a mortgage, 3 kids, an annual holiday etc etc. I am never skint.
I don't earn a fortune but both me and the misses are musicians (she was at home for 10 yrs with the kids though I was sole breadwinner) and we do fine.
It is not only how you see it mate so please don't call me a liar by proxy ok.[/quote]

+1 on that..
30 years i have been at it, never had a job other than full time Muso.
Done alright, infact still doing alright.
Run a family ,
Most of the full time Musos i know are the same.
Theres more to being a full timer than being in a Rock band with a contract, if thats what you want.
Never seems to amaze me the amount of pro bashing that goes on here.
Walk around the West End £40/50 k a year no problem.
If you wanna call me liar over that one - check the union rates.
Cause you dont know these dudes, dont mean they dont exist. :)

Garry

[quote name='jakesbass' post='337820' date='Nov 26 2008, 10:36 PM']So ok that sounds more reasonable and I wouldn't seek to denigrate your position or outlook, it's just in the first few posts you were sort of telling me that I didn't exist so I felt compelled to say "well I do.... look here I am"

And I live in the South East, house prices etc[/quote]
But thats 2 people working at it,support,and love,and I dont totally believe you both have not had to at least at some point do a little extra summat on the side to make ends meet..a shift of something,temp work,had sacrifice's..all that romantic sh*t that at the time utterly stink,but draw you together....

House prices,depends on where you are,but I bet you had to drop a massive deposit,being self employed.
If you can do it..Then I applaud you,and you can borrow my gear anytime.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='337643' date='Nov 26 2008, 07:57 PM']Here the rub.....

Dont bother,keep dreaming,its sh*tty having no cash,and you have to really really slum it to get anywhere....and leaning on your other half really sucks

In 17 years of playing Ive never met one happy pro EVER,without having a BIG chip upon their shoulder....and when I mean pro I mean real pro,the bod does not teach,hold a class,do seminars,does youtube bullshit,or works in a music shop or as a Luthier/builder..or studio worker...an out and out player..they dont exist. Sessions come/go,it depends on who/what you know,and regular work is as rare as pixiedust.....Might happen in London or New York or LA.......but not in the provinces. You really wanna do it,be prepared to do anything,and be anyman to any situation.

The best in reality IS the weekend warrior,coz thats when the moneys available,you can give your all,and the moneys good.......I dont know many high payers on a tuesday night in Leeds gigwise...get into corporate work with agents and thats different,but thinking your gonna make a stash of cash playing Greenday riffs to a room of suits and you are in la la land,its slick soul,Motown,Funk,Disco,Rock,and Roll,and ol Mustang Sally...OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

Going to a music school,wont give you the keys either,I dont care what anyone says,some pipefed asspiece thats now in Guildford fresh out,isnt gonna get the gig,its the guy thats 'Done it' for 3 years with the car and the ratty P Bass that going to get the gig rather than all the flash riffola. All schools gonna give you is maybe reading and a bit of time time find out that the music industry is full of hard nosed drugged up sh*t and corrupt label slime...and the guy at the pub getting xxx cash in hand is a ton of Hell happier than the average touring bandmember.

It ISNT cool playing Bass,Its a job same as a window cleaner or a Barman,except you work in sh*tty hours and in all weathers like both former and latter.

Singing helps.[/quote]

At least your being honest, years ago i could actually play a little bit, Maggie thatcher gave me the opportunity of a vigorous practice regime, get up, breakfast , hour with metronome and scales,hour learning new stuff, Job centre and another hour or two playing with friends and my brother who was in the same situation. In the midst of this i thought why not go to collage full time and really learn how to do this? I think if i had gone down that route i may have regretted it, OK i may have had a good time for a while but at least i know i can feed my children every month.
I think the function band is the real earner, one of my work colleagues plays in a 60's band playing places like Butlins etc. He could most likely live off his earnings from the gigs. With a day job paying the bills and pension fund his gigs get him out of the house every weekend and pay for a tax deductible new car every year, he has no worries....