Why become a member? ×

NCD

TrevorG

Over the moon at how well the two cabs compliment each other. The 102p is very tight and punchy while the combo's 12 inch driver is rich, fat and equally punchy. My amp buying days are over! Many thanks to Wunjo's on Denmark Street who put up with my madness.

20180529_164542.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

My word; is that the AC combo and an extension : 800 or 1000w in total?!

It's a CMD K1 Supercombo(Alain Caron signature). The combo on its own is 600 watts and the 102p supplies the other 400 watts. Both very punchy with the 12 inch driver being fat and rich and the 2x10 as tight as anything I've heard. Might stick some Velcro between them but it's stable this way...so far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Plus you can play a game of gin rummy/dominoes/bridge atop the 102. Keep the band amused in the break between sets!

Ha ha. Someone has convinced me putting it on its end is better but the card game is still on the table.

• Like 1

I'd put them next to each other, or use the combo as a woofer underneath with the 2x10 on top.  Remember that both cabs see equal wattage.

That is a great combo.  I had one but sold it for a similarly high powered head but with more versatile EQ (Little Marcus 800).  I still have the TRV123 extension cab.

34278584153_81a95ff155_c.jpg

Edited by walbassist
  • Like 1

On 04/06/2018 at 15:24, walbassist said:

I'd put them next to each other, or use the combo as a woofer underneath with the 2x10 on top.  Remember that both cabs see equal wattage.

That is a great combo.  I had one but sold it for a similarly high powered head but with more versatile EQ (Little Marcus 800).  I still have the TRV123 extension cab.

I did not know about the equal wattage thing, thank you but not sure how that works. The traveler is 400watts...  Really pleased with this set up. There's a lovely balance between the rich twelve inch and the tight 2x10s. Works much better with the 2x10 on top

20180531_161000.jpg

Edited by TrevorG
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TrevorG said:

I am honestly pinching myself. Got a great price for the combo last year and started playing with an outfit that justified the second can this year.

Good man!

I've got the 'baby brother' the AC 121 Lite which has never let me down once or failed to deliver in terms of volume / headroom in over 3 years of gigging with it.

The Markbass cabs have a tendency to roll off the high end a bit (which is part of the reason for their warmer tone). You may find it perfect, but if you don't and want to give the 'usable' treble an upward nudge around the 2.5kHz to 3.5kHz mark it's worth noting that the LM3 based head which we both have, has mid-high EQ centred at 800Hz and treble centred at 10kHz so a BIG gap in terms of adjustable EQ in between. So if I was going to suggest one tweak to your set up, it would be to consider getting an EQ patch on an MS-60B or an EQ pedal and this is then very easily addressed (without needing to get the Little Marcus head) :) 

What bass / pups are you playing through and what genre music are your band playing?

• Like 1

Funk, jazz, Latin, rock and pop for me.  I like the HF roll off because it kills a lot of fret noise and my playing sounds smoother. The 2x10 bring things out just where I want them. I have US built Spector NS5XL,  an Over water Explorer and a couple of others.

Edited by TrevorG
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, TrevorG said:

I did not know about the equal wattage thing, thank you but not sure how that works.

Put simply two 8 ohm cabs means the amp sees a 4 ohm load, and divides it equally between the two as they have the same impedance.  So your K1 has the potential to put 500 watts into each cab O.o

The good news is you will probably never use every single watt. so the fact the 2x10 is only rated at 400 watts should not be an issue.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, walbassist said:

Put simply two 8 ohm cabs means the amp sees a 4 ohm load, and divides it equally between the two as they have the same impedance.  So your K1 has the potential to put 500 watts into each cab O.o

The good news is you will probably never use every single watt. so the fact the 2x10 is only rated at 400 watts should not be an issue.  

So if I unplug the speaker in the combo and just hook up the amp to the traveler the extension cab will be taking 600Watts?

1 hour ago, walbassist said:

+1 ^^

Interestingly Alex mentioned that his BF BB2 cab is "probably" around 600W AES but on his website he says it can comfortably handle amps rated up to 800W i.e. cabs often seem to be able to handle amps with a higher power rating than their own AES rating. I guess the key simple test is whether you're getting a clean sound from your cab or whether it starts 'f*arting', to use the technical term.

12 minutes ago, TrevorG said:

So if I unplug the speaker in the combo and just hook up the amp to the traveler the extension cab will be taking 600Watts?

That sounds right.

• Like 1

On 04/06/2018 at 15:24, walbassist said:

Ooh look darling, how about a side table for drinks?

No, she said.

• Like 2