Why become a member? ×

Mic for bassist/vocalist

Danbass7

I know this isnt the ideal place to post this, but I know you guys would give me good advice ! :)

I've started doing main/shared vocals in my band whilst holding down the bass duties and now need a mic that is going to be built well and last touring/ intensive gigging.

I dont know a hell of a lot about the different standard of mic's out there and would really appreciate a bit of insight from anyone with more knowledge than me in what would be a good buy.

Edited by Danbass7

[quote name='Danbass7' post='337185' date='Nov 26 2008, 12:57 PM']I know this isnt the ideal place to post this, but I know you guys would give me good advice ! :)

I've started doing main/shared vocals in my band whilst holding down the bass duties and now need a mic that is going to be built well and last touring/ intensive gigging.

I dont know a hell of a lot about the different standard of mic's out there and would really appreciate a bit of insight from anyone with more knowledge than me in what would be a good buy.[/quote]

You'll not go far wrong with a Shure SM58 or SM58 Beta .. or on a budget an SM58PG

Tough as old boots and sound pretty good too, specially the Beta version.

"Ha, the excellent Mr Otway - for those who don't know of him, he has a
habit of violently "nutting" the microphone with such force that he
flattens the mesh against the top of the capsule.

I did a gig a couple of years ago with him and that well known 'punk
poet' Attila the Stockbroker, they play SM58 tennis by having a mike on
a boom stand and nutting it to each other garden swing ball fashion -
the look on the venue managers face was priceless as the mike flew off
into the crowd. I somehow neglected to tell her that Otway always
supplies his own mikes ;o)

Amazingly, as battered as they are, his mikes still sound like 58`s!
read into that what you will."

Edited by OldGit

John Otway, the man's a genius.

I have a Shure PG58-basically a budget SM58. The chap in the shop where I bought it told me that to most people's ears there's very little difference in the sound, it's in the longevity that the difference lies-he reckoned an SM58 ought to be good for 15-20 years' use, whereas a PG58 will probably only last 7 or 8. How much of that is true I don't know. The PG was about £50 ish packaged with a lead, although not a particularly long one. I see GAK do them on their own for £34, and you need to get a lead for it. The SM58 with a lead is £80, the Beta (which I understand is excellent) is £120ish. I have no complaints with mine-obviously I'd like a more expensive one, but it does the job fine.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='337244' date='Nov 26 2008, 01:52 PM']John Otway, the man's a genius.

I have a Shure PG58-basically a budget SM58. The chap in the shop where I bought it told me that to most people's ears there's very little difference in the sound, it's in the longevity that the difference lies-he reckoned an SM58 ought to be good for 15-20 years' use, whereas a PG58 will probably only last 7 or 8. How much of that is true I don't know. The PG was about £50 ish packaged with a lead, although not a particularly long one. I see GAK do them on their own for £34, and you need to get a lead for it. The SM58 with a lead is £80, the Beta (which I understand is excellent) is £120ish. I have no complaints with mine-obviously I'd like a more expensive one, but it does the job fine.[/quote]

My fellow front man has a PG58 (boot sale £20!) and on some nights it's much better than my SM58 for clarity and stuff for both of us ..

What are the good Sennheisers? I know they are good but I don't know which ones are the better vox ones.

Thanks guys for your thoughts on this

SM58 seems like a decent option :) I'll probably pick up one on the weekend if I dont come across a better deal by then

The beta is going to be a bit out of my price range at the moment but I will look into those in the future.

Is there much difference in the quality of the cables and if so, what sorta thing should I be looking at ?

[quote name='Danbass7' post='337311' date='Nov 26 2008, 02:41 PM']Thanks guys for your thoughts on this

SM58 seems like a decent option :) I'll probably pick up one on the weekend if I dont come across a better deal by then

The beta is going to be a bit out of my price range at the moment but I will look into those in the future.

Is there much difference in the quality of the cables and if so, what sorta thing should I be looking at ?[/quote]

OBBM on this forum does top quality cables of all kinds for very reasonable costs and fast delivery.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78&hl="]OBBM's feedback[/url]

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='337592' date='Nov 26 2008, 07:16 PM']Again +1 to the Shure SM58, its the industry vocal mic, especially for live events, its cheap, got a frequency response to flatter most vocals and dam hard to break[/quote]If you don't own your own and have them supplied by the house, on no account should you sniff them, 10 years of rancid saliva doesn't smell too pretty. :)

[quote name='Danbass7' post='337185' date='Nov 26 2008, 01:57 PM']I know this isnt the ideal place to post this, but I know you guys would give me good advice ! :)

I dont know a hell of a lot about the different standard of mic's out there and would really appreciate a bit of insight from anyone with more knowledge than me in what would be a good buy.[/quote]

Had my SM58 over 15 years and ran it over with the car at a gig. Changed the mesh top (£3.00 on Ebay) good as new.

leschirons

SM58 is the obvious choice not least because sound engineers won't give you any hassle for using it. However I've found that as I tend to sing lower than many vocalists the SM57 works better for me as it's less boomy in the lows and a bit smoother on top so the midrange comes through better. The SM58 is voiced very effectively for typical tenor rock/soul/etc vocals but on higher (female) or lower (baritone/bass) vocalists the flatter response of the SM57 can be more flattering/audible.

Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic and AKG probably make even better mics for the money but I have no idea where to start with them! (I guess when it comes to vocal mics I'm acting like those bassists that automatically buy Ampeg...) :)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='338091' date='Nov 27 2008, 09:05 AM']SM58 is the obvious choice not least because sound engineers won't give you any hassle for using it. However I've found that as I tend to sing lower than many vocalists the SM57 works better for me as it's less boomy in the lows and a bit smoother on top so the midrange comes through better. The SM58 is voiced very effectively for typical tenor rock/soul/etc vocals but on higher (female) or lower (baritone/bass) vocalists the flatter response of the SM57 can be more flattering/audible.

Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic and AKG probably make even better mics for the money but I have no idea where to start with them! (I guess when it comes to vocal mics I'm acting like those bassists that automatically buy Ampeg...) :)

Alex[/quote]

Ah now that's an interesting point .. As a baritone I may try my SM57 next gig to see if it works better for me. My sm58 does sometimes lack clarity with my voice, especially for the talky bits.

I know sound engineers have got out the Sennheisers for women singers I've worked with but, again, no idea what model of mic it was.

[quote name='OldGit' post='338100' date='Nov 27 2008, 09:21 AM']Ha ha well you would say that :) Does your boss read BassChat?

What are the model numbers of vocal mics in this kind of area Crez?[/quote]

I have no idea what your on about...... ahem.... but if you were to look at particular models the following would p**s all over the OP brand -

Evolution 835 - Cardioid Dynamic
845 - Super - Cardioid Dynamic

If your funds run to it, try the e935..... outstanding!!

Edited by crez5150

[quote name='crez5150' post='338105' date='Nov 27 2008, 09:25 AM']I have no idea what your on about...... ahem.... but if you were to look at particular models the following would p**s all over the OP brand -

Evolution 835 - Cardioid Dynamic
845 - Super - Cardioid Dynamic

If your funds run to it, try the e935..... outstanding!![/quote]

Well there you go,
Senn 835 is only £40
840 is £70
845 S (with switch) £37

Got to be worth a go, especially if you are on limited funds...

[quote name='OldGit' post='338109' date='Nov 27 2008, 09:29 AM']Well there you go,
Senn 835 is only £40
840 is £70
845 S (with switch) £37

Got to be worth a go, especially if you are on limited funds...[/quote]

Blimey where did you see the price for the 845s???? that s way too cheap? one thing I will say is watch out for e-vilbay..... you would not believe how many ££££'s of couterfeit stock we've
had come into the UK this year......

[quote name='crez5150' post='338112' date='Nov 27 2008, 09:31 AM']Blimey where did you see the price for the 845s???? that s way too cheap? one thing I will say is watch out for e-vilbay..... you would not believe how many ££££'s of couterfeit stock we've
had come into the UK this year......[/quote]

Blige yeah it does seem to be a good deal +£5 shipping though .. Still about half price c/f others
Amazon
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/B0002H0RCW/new"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/det.../B0002H0RCW/new[/url]

Now don't go telling on them til we've bought all their stock OK?

Without wishing to cast aspersions on that particular seller on Amazon, I'd be wary of Amazon marketplace sellers too - I bought a Shure 58 Beta from one, and it was a fake - weight was nowhere near that specified. They were very good about the return, though.